T R Robb Tuning Kit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its more about the journey than the destination.

Or how to get a lot more whizz bang for your buck!   I recently picked up a project I have wanted for a while a QB78. These are lightweight little rifles which have a half decent mechanism in them.

So lets get this right...you buy a gun, then disassemble it and fill it full of "good bits" to make it work right.   That is like buying a Harley Davidson...after buying the bike, you then spend a f

Superb accuracy. Some claim to have matched AA S400/10's! One chap in the states claims to have won a ft comp with his custom 78.

Thanks for your reply milegajo that is very suprising, Im considering getting one so I have a sub 12. I have had problems with co2 powered pistols in the past freezing seals and leaking so never gave theese a second thaught but they sound very good.

atb Tom :thumbs:

Edited by tomburras

People spend a lot more money tuning rifles that cost an awful lot more (HW spring powereds for a start)!

The stock is the traditional Chinese lacquer/varnish high gloss on a plain finish.

Yeah but Mike, that's because they are worth it mate! :thumbs:

I resent the fact that rifles costing 4-5 times the price require tuning.

Which, one could argue, betrays how idealistic and possible naive I am.

I can appreciate that thought Miles, but it is more of a nicety than a necessity with top drawer spring rifles. :thumbs: TX200 and Prosports certainly don't need tuning. Weihrauch are fine out of the box. But tuning turns their performances into sweeter, smoother actions and it does improve their accuracy as the effects of vibration and recoil are refined and lessened. :thumbs:

You really have to try shooting one to see how it benefits.

ATB

Simon

Same with the QB Simon. It is amazing how it transforms the rifle from a gutless wimp into a powerhouse! With all the other mods, such as polishing the trigger and some molykote, you achieve a great shooting little rifle. Some people will not be able to afford the cream of the crop, so have to make do with full fat milk and some hard work!

There is nothing like shooting a top line spring powered or gas ram, but if people have bought these little rifles for hunting and perhaps starting off a junior hunter, tuning is the next step on the road up! After all, if you have something you can use to accurately shoot whilst you save, you will be a happier shooter!

I'll never understand some people's need to polish turds. Why spend loads of money and time on something that's only ever going to be average at best?

I'm not having a go at anyone, it's just my opinion.

Edited by andyfr1968

That said andy, i still baulk at these kids who 'pimp' saxos etc.

I know exactly what you're saying, Miles, and to be fair I shouldn't really comment as I've had very little to do with QBs and I've never used a modded one.

The car analogy's spot on for me. If you want a better car, get a better car instead of dicking around with something you're not really happy with.

Anyone who wants to tune one of these rifles would be better off getting advice from the Chinese airgun forum. From what I've read you don't need to buy a kit, just a set of seals and a bit of tinkering will bring them up to a decent level.

That means a cheap and relatively accurate little rifle for very little money.

I've used a standard one and was actually quite impressed with the accuracy but not the overall fit and finish.

I view the Chinese rifles as a real threat in years to come, old buggers like me can remember when we all laughed at Japanese cars and motorbikes, who's laughing now?

Certainly not BSA, Triumph, Leyland or a host of other once famous names!

OK you have not got the tools to start with, so you need a mini drill and bits, then you need the hammer block shaving down, do not know of many people who can knock the piercer and valve assembly off on a lather either. Plus you do get a very good instructional DVD, it is all very well saying you can find the steps on the Chinese Airgun BBS, but this is a step by step filmed strip down and reassembly, so every point is covered! For the money it is a very good kit, it works and has proven good effect.

I know it will never be as good as an HW or Daystate, but the 78 or 79 is more capable than a lot of shooters realise.

Edited by secretagentmole