Mole Spades

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

got to say , if you boys are trapping with loads of traps in wet weather , you gonna have a hell of a job with trowels and knives, they soon get clogged up and hard to grip,a t handled mole spade can

Even when I have had a hundred traps running,,, I don't like spades,, I youse a trowel,,,, and ile be honest now, after I have probed and found wich direction the tunnel is running,, I stick my big fi

I use a Big knife, picked it up from a car boot works really well here's a video of it in action.  

Living in a big city I don't get much work on farms and to be honest I wouldn't want it. I had 30 traps down last week on site in the dales, covered in mud and freezing cold not my idea of fun, did make a fair few quick off it tho and considerably more than £10 a mole ;)

What does everyone use?

I've got some ancient mole spuds here, but they cost too much to risk for day to day work.

For the last few years I've been using a 'junior' spade, which is very well made from Stainless Steel, but is a little short.

I've also got one of the new spades from Cheftain Forge here, which I don't much like. When I contacted Cheftain Forge to discuss it they've made me something that is much better.

So what does everyone else use? I have to admit that about half the runs that I open up I just use my hands. I tend to find that I damage the runs much less lifting the turf off the top rather than digging into them.

Interesting post Matt,like yourself i discovered the mole spade made by chieftain forge.Liked the look of it from the photo,took a chance and sent for one.Was a bit disappointed with it though,its far too heavy duty for the job.(especially if your still a foot soldier ,like myself LOL) Its good your getting one customed.I think the guy once repaired some original 'molespuds', a moleman brought to him.He based his design on these.

What does everyone use?

I've got some ancient mole spuds here, but they cost too much to risk for day to day work.

For the last few years I've been using a 'junior' spade, which is very well made from Stainless Steel, but is a little short.

I've also got one of the new spades from Cheftain Forge here, which I don't much like. When I contacted Cheftain Forge to discuss it they've made me something that is much better.

So what does everyone else use? I have to admit that about half the runs that I open up I just use my hands. I tend to find that I damage the runs much less lifting the turf off the top rather than digging into them.

Interesting post Matt,like yourself i discovered the mole spade made by chieftain forge.Liked the look of it from the photo,took a chance and sent for one.Was a bit disappointed with it though,its far too heavy duty for the job.(especially if your still a foot soldier ,like myself LOL) Its good your getting one customed.I think the guy once repaired some original 'molespuds', a moleman brought to him.He based his design on these.

Those metal straps that are attached to the wooden shaft,(to strengthen it, i thought at first)are far too long,and add alot of extra weight.The guy said it was also to save wear on the shaft ,when your moving it forwards and backwards,when your working at depth.He must have presumed we were going to be digging down up to a metre,for moles !, until i enlightened him.LOL Edited by earth-thrower

got to say , if you boys are trapping with loads of traps in wet weather , you gonna have a hell of a job with trowels and knives, they soon get clogged up and hard to grip,a t handled mole spade can be hard enuff to work with

Don't do wet weather. I only do moles for myself or friends, so I can wait until the conditions are better.

But you are right, as soon as it gets a bit muddy, it's like greasing your tool handles :laugh: .

Those metal straps that are attached to the wooden shaft,(to strengthen it, i thought at first)are far too long,and add alot of extra weight.The guy said it was also to save wear on the shaft ,when your moving it forwards and backwards,when your working at depth.He must have asumed we where going to be digging down up to a metre,for moles !, until i enlightened him.LOL

Likewise.

Walter is a really nice guy, but I'm not sure where he got his ideas on molecatching from.....

If you want a nice little spade for less money, ring him and ask for the 'Matt the Rat' type.

got to say , if you boys are trapping with loads of traps in wet weather , you gonna have a hell of a job with trowels and knives, they soon get clogged up and hard to grip,a t handled mole spade can be hard enuff to work with

Wise words Yoda :yes:

It's jobs like these:

Photo0135.jpg

That test the molecatcher

Edited by Matt the Rat

Those metal straps that are attached to the wooden shaft,(to strengthen it, i thought at first)are far too long,and add alot of extra weight.The guy said it was also to save wear on the shaft ,when your moving it forwards and backwards,when your working at depth.He must have asumed we where going to be digging down up to a metre,for moles !, until i enlightened him.LOL

Likewise.

Walter is a really nice guy, but I'm not sure where he got his ideas on molecatching from.....

If you want a nice little spade for less money, ring him and ask for the 'Matt the Rat' type.

Good stuff mate,I could be confident,it would be more suitable.

As another dreaded hobbiest I had a spade cut down from an old border spade. It is exactly the width of a Duffus trap but has a full sized handle. A bit heavy to carry a long way, but that's what the Chinese tractor is for. ;)

i use exactly the same as you. great for the duffus trap!!! all my jobs are domestic, so i dont walk too far.