Baikal 12G O/u

Following on from my intro post, I mentioned the Baikal IJ-27E i have left a deposit on with Grahams of Inverness, our local firearms dealer. The gun is an old model twin triggers and fixed choke at half and full. Some research online tells me that from the engraving, rather than stamped detailing on the steelwork, the gun dates from between 1970-1976?? Obviously proofed for lead given the period, could anyone advise me as to alternative shot types which may be used safley through the chokes.

My intention was to be looking to take down a goose or two over the next couple of weeks over stubble fields, but with the season slipping away from us rather than buying lead cartridges i was looking for an alternative to allow me to continue persuing my quarry on the mud flats until Feb 20th.

Any help would be most welcomed.

Regards Danny.

Hi Danny,

I have the very same gun and cant wait to get rid of it.I only bought it last May when I got back into shooting after a long absence. Have had nothing but problems with it. If I use 28g 7 and a halves in it,all is well. Put #6 or higher in it and it nearly always misfires.What happens is, after I fire the first barrel the safety clicks back on.Because of the guns age it is not able for the recoil of heavier shots.Have spoken to a few lads in the club and they all had the same problems with this gun.

Only 2 weeks left in the season here so am going to stick with it til then and then adios lol.

ATB

Jim

Danny,

Try www.shotgunworld.com. . They do reviews on all makes of shotguns. Baikal are sometimes passed off as Remingtons but can't remember which model. There are a lot of people who swear by them but I might just be 1 of the unlucky ones who bought a dud. Don't let me put you off buying 1. I do know that they are proofed for steel. Read up online as there is talk of banning lead round here.

Jim

ive had a bakial o/u sigle selective trigger since 1983,i must have put around 40,000 shells through it,am sure its proofed up to 3 tons per sqare inch,but as jimy says the safety jumps on after the first shot,does anyone no how to cure this because apart from that its a good killing gun be it geese,duck,pheasant or clay,s ,p.s. some of my mates got one a couple of years after i got mine theres were a good bit lighter in weight but didnt last any time,atb wf

Same here i started with a Baikal o/u selective trigger ejectors and it may have been cheap and nasty but it did what it said on the tin i kills thousands of things with that gun and it was a great gun in the hide for pigeons or shooting rabbits over the ferrets and as it was a cheap gun you didnt mind the odd mark , then i moved up to a Rizzini but im now back to another Baikal

I HAVE A BAIKAL SINGLE TRIGGER O U BOUGHT IT FOR 250 QUID 22 YEARS AGO HAVE KILLED A LOT OF VERMIN WITH IT THOUGH WAS CROW SHOOTING RECENTLY WITH IT AND IT PUT THE TWO BARRELLS OF AT THE SAME TIME :huh: IT WASNT NICE HAVE ANY OF YOUS LADS EVER HAD OUR HEARD OF THIS BEFORE

Hey Toasty, I have heard of this before. I have been doing a bit of looking into these guns and all reports seem to say older guns with a heavier load experience trigger issues. Another problem which arises is that following the first barrel, the recoil engages the safety giving you a misfire on the second. Pitty, the rest of the gun seems to be well made.

ive had a bakial o/u sigle selective trigger since 1983,i must have put around 40,000 shells through it,am sure its proofed up to 3 tons per sqare inch,but as jimy says the safety jumps on after the first shot,does anyone no how to cure this because apart from that its a good killing gun be it geese,duck,pheasant or clay,s ,p.s. some of my mates got one a couple of years after i got mine theres were a good bit lighter in weight but didnt last any time,atb wf

Might be a long shot but my father had a Lincoln O/U and after every shot the safety would come on, he stopped this by replacing the safety spring with one out of a biro/pen! And its been fine ever since!

Might be a long shot but my father had a Lincoln O/U and after every shot the safety would come on, he stopped this by replacing the safety spring with one out of a biro/pen! And its been fine ever since!

i shall give that a go as i have nothing to lose,thanks buddy,wf