The All Round Skill In Naturals

Nearly 50 now and spent many an hour making a Catapult. I was looking at some Catapults on the market recently, while some are properly engineered and 'professionally' done, I really hope the 'art' or locating and working a natural 'Y' into a useable Catapult doesn't get put to one side. When we were kids we just had a sharp Pen Knife, the Tongue of an old Shoe or Boot and some Inner Tube, then it was out in the Woods looking for a nice 'Y' to finish off with. If we were lucky someone would get hold of Sand Paper, just to take off the roughness your Knife scraping couldn't.........the point was being able to make one for nothing and just with a Pen Knife.

• Like 2

thats exactly why i like making them mate. something out of nothing that you can use to great effect.

tyre tubes aint what they used to be, i tried it and they just rip :hmm:

dog walks and ferreting trips are full of scouring the branches for a nice 'Y'. sad times :laugh:

does my mates head in :boogy:

• Like 2

Nearly 50 now and spent many an hour making a Catapult. I was looking at some Catapults on the market recently, while some are properly engineered and 'professionally' done, I really hope the 'art' or locating and working a natural 'Y' into a useable Catapult doesn't get put to one side. When we were kids we just had a sharp Pen Knife, the Tongue of an old Shoe or Boot and some Inner Tube, then it was out in the Woods looking for a nice 'Y' to finish off with. If we were lucky someone would get hold of Sand Paper, just to take off the roughness your Knife scraping couldn't.........the point was being able to make one for nothing and just with a Pen Knife.

:P1000441.jpg) Just made this like the ones i used to use as a kid...sent as a free gift like boots buy one get one free :) Edited by micckey

I think there was more Rubber content in the inner tubes back 40 or more years ago or we were just not too demanding shooting Cans etc. Eventually the Milbro ones became readily available as 'Toys' and able to kill Pigeons etc, they caught on. Along with them came the square elastic, which milbro used. As usual it was the kids with the money who could afford to buy them.....lol. It seems now, you can have a work of art.......as long as you have the coin spare.

Its easy to make a natural. Easier than most think. A knife and some sanding paper and you coukd have a good looking catty.

Its alternativley as easy to do a board cut and use your own design or one of somebody elses.

Easier than most think and cost pennies to make. Its the elastic that costs the money.

I have a cracking catty i made out of MDF. Found a bit in B&Q for 50p and could get 10 cuts out of it.

Not the ideal wood but its super cheap easy to work with using a file and sandpaper.