Le Chameau mouflon plus boots.

I was looking for high boot for a while and wondering if I should try the lowa’s or danner’s. then found the le chameau mouflon plus’s. they seemed decent enough, plenty of recommendation and nice and high which is one of the main reasons I ended up settling on them. After much surfing the net and catalogues I dropped deako a pm off THL and he gave me the best price around so I ordered them ASAP off him.

The delivery company tried to deliver about 2 days after ordering so top marks from decoying.co.uk. one slight problem though the company couldn’t find a our house :laughbounce2: After another couple of days and phone calls they found us and delivered them to the neighbors while I was out with the dog. Good job I put the notice on the door or it could have been another day!!

When they arrived I couldn’t wait to get out and test them but first gave them a good coating in wax to help the leather last longer. Got my nikwax coated the boots and even got the hairdryer on it to make it really soak in to the leather. There was a few loose ends on the stitching which would have been nice to have them trimmed with the price you pay but its hardly going to go damaging them is it.

STP80575Large.jpg

STP80574Large.jpg

Next day I was out in them testing out what they were up to. First thoughts were great. Water just ran off them, this was no doubt the wax I had put on but it seemed good, exactly what you would expect from some boots costing nigh on 200 buff! The grip is excellent on them and still is to this day. At first the leather is a bit stiff but it soon wears in yet still gives plenty of ankle support which is great.

Couple of weeks passed and the water wasn’t running off anymore so a thorough cleaning was in order and another waxing up. All waxed up by next day they were back to normal water running off them as soon as it touched. There was a few scratches here and there but nothing to complain about.

Few months, few waxings and they were looking a bit rough. Many a scratch on the soft upper leather that Le Chameau put around the top of the boot along with a few all over but id heard they look bad but still keep going. Granted I wasn’t expecting them to go this quick but as long as they still performed I didn’t care what they looked like. One thing I did notice was when walking at pace over jagged ground or flat hard ground they give a bit a cramp in your calf muscle. Perhaps its just me that I fasten them too tight or whatever but they were a bit uncomfortable. Back onto softer grass or mud and they were fine but as I say on this type of ground there was definitely some cramping starting.

Few more months and I was arriving home with one slightly wet foot. Thinking it was abit odd just having one wet foot but never really put much thought in to it and put it down to sweat. Anyway crossing the river the other day I thought I could feel the water creeping in. Not flowing in just creeping as if there was a small hole somwere. Carried on a few more days and it was the same part of my foot getting wet. On closer inspection you could see the black rubber stuff Chameau use to cover the toe area and back around the boot was coming away from the leather!! Quite frankly I wasn’t happy. Would you be after spending that much money for 6 months use??

IMG_2392Large.jpg

IMG_2393Large.jpg

Anyway ive just been looking on the web for chameaus UK address to send them back to. They have a 1year guarantee so may aswell get my money back if they give me the option to, doubt if ill be having another pair now unless I absolutely have to. I wouldn’t mind if id have done a lot of work in them. Well actually I would of but all they have done is stomped a few rats, walked many a mile, crossed rivers and a bit of ferreting and whilst ferreting I wasn’t the one who was digging so god knows what thay would have been like I had of been. The sole was good and still has loads of life left in it but one has a leak so they may aswell go back. Anyway im back to stage one now hoping Chameu will give me my money back and then looking for some quality high boots.

cheers,

maty.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LIKE YOU BOUGHT THESE BOOTS ,MY HUBBY HAS HAD 3 PAIRS IN TWO YEARS,I BOUGHT THEM FROM A SHOP IN SOUTH WALES AFTER SEARCHING THE NET FOR MONTHS FOR A GOOD DEAL ON THEM (MY HUBBY USED TO SWEAR BY THEM ) WELL THIS LAST PAIR HAS LASTED 8 MONTHS !!!!WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP THEY ARE !!!!!!! MY HUBBY DOES A LOT OF DIGGING AND THEY HAVE SPLIT UNDERNEATH THE SOLE WHICH AS YOU KNOW THEY ARE PRETTY TOUGH UNDER THERE OR SO WE THOUGHT SO BACK TO THE SHOP THEY GO, STILL HAVING HEARED FROM THE COMPANY FROM THE LAST TIME SO IM NOT BUILDING MY HOPES UP DO YOU KNOW OF ANY BETTER ONES I CAN BUY IM NEED A PAIR SOON

Wor lass bought me a pair of le chameau in january,by middle of march the sole had split with digging so sent them back,took a few weeks but they sent me a new pair about a month of wearing them the front had started coming away,proper shite,wouldnt buy another pair.