Thats great brassneck, I look forward to seeing some of your natural cattys, I agree the grain of oak is beautiful, holly is also nice but like you said ideal forks are a rarity. Whats bands do you use? for this im trying out triple theraband black, see what comes of it never tried this band set before.

All the best,

Traditional

sorry bud , been out with the hounds , i will take some pics tommoprow for you , to be honest ive tryed theraband black , dont rate double much , triple is much better but bit fiddlerly to tie on properly , imo you cant go wrong with theraband gold doubled or single on a mini , id say tapered bands the way to go but you wont get as much life out of them .

Have seen the stuff in asda ? sold as excercise bands . £6 for 3 - light -medium-heavy , im using the medium at moment (red) 1"x9" double bands on a small oak natural , 300fps+ with 10mm steel . dont no how long they'll last but good so far after about 250 shots .At a fiver you dont mind replacing them , theraband gold is pukka but a bit on the pricey side , probably 3x the price of black .

i cant get a link up but if you look on asda online thing and type in stretch bands you find them .

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a go at making a natural catty, made to fit my hand and now has been banded up with triple theraband black and kangaroo pouches. Hopefully get out soon do a bit of hunting to see how it feels. It'

seems everyone into ply / multiplex etc nowadays , imo you just cant beat a good natural fork, each one is unique . Nice job mate

one i knocked up last year just proving a point to my lad how we kept ourselves amused as kids,think it was from cherry tree but not 100% sure now,did band it up for a trial and i can honestly say im

Posted Images

They look very good micckey, Making the catty is all part of the fun along with hunting with it, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more natural cattys.

All the best,

Traditional

Ive got loads ... of naturals ...
  • Like 1
Guest long-tail

one i knocked up last year just proving a point to my lad how we kept ourselves amused as kids,think it was from cherry tree but not 100% sure now,did band it up for a trial and i can honestly say im not as good with one now as i used to be laugh.png just stripped it back down and will marine varnish it before getting back out for some serious practice,you done a good job on yours like it thumbs.gif

065_zps15d5fb8c.jpg

067_zpsfd067d63.jpg

071_zpsb2691d66.jpg

073_zps53659db9.jpg

hi mate.. were did you get the knife from mate looks a tidy knife an catty aint bad... :thumbs:

swaped the knife for a game bag with a lad on here cheers
  • Like 1

one i knocked up last year just proving a point to my lad how we kept ourselves amused as kids,think it was from cherry tree but not 100% sure now,did band it up for a trial and i can honestly say im not as good with one now as i used to be laugh.png just stripped it back down and will marine varnish it before getting back out for some serious practice,you done a good job on yours like it thumbs.gif

065_zps15d5fb8c.jpg

067_zpsfd067d63.jpg

071_zpsb2691d66.jpg

073_zps53659db9.jpg

hi mate.. were did you get the knife from mate looks a tidy knife an catty aint bad... :thumbs:

what make of knife is it ? any idea were i can get one please? :thumbs:

065_zps15d5fb8c.jpg

067_zpsfd067d63.jpg

071_zpsb2691d66.jpg

073_zps53659db9.jpg

These pic's wont load on my laptop ... So I cant help :( sorry
Guest long-tail

065_zps15d5fb8c.jpg

067_zpsfd067d63.jpg

071_zpsb2691d66.jpg

073_zps53659db9.jpg

its a BROWNING model 815 as to where you can get one..............good luck with that :laugh:

065_zps15d5fb8c.jpg

067_zpsfd067d63.jpg

071_zpsb2691d66.jpg

073_zps53659db9.jpg

its a BROWNING model 815 as to where you can get one..............good luck with that :laugh:

:D:thumbs:

Cut myself a dozen or so Oak forks and a few Hazel ones.

Do you think I should let them dry naturally or bring them indoors to dry them quicker?

I'm thinking let them dry outside in the barn, but my boy is itching to try his hand at carving himself one.

What do you's think? Bearing in mind he already has a couple of catty's.

Nice catapults by the way :yes:

Edited by leegreen

Do you think I should let them dry naturally or bring them indoors to dry them quicker?

I'm thinking let them dry outside in the barn, but my boy is itching to try his hand at carving himself one.

try and force dry them put one in the micro wave after you have taken the bark off for 5 secs take it out and let it cool the repeat it 10 times thats how i did mine

Unless you have your own 'spare' microwave i wouldnt put the catty in it.

I done it for a few and then BOOM!

set it on fire and nearly took the kitchen with it!

It in the garage now and still works so is now my 'catty microwave'.

But lesson learned- dont use a good microwave for your wood drying.....

20130108_134629.jpg

20130108_140754.jpg

• Like 1

try and force dry them put one in the micro wave after you have taken the bark off for 5 secs take it out and let it cool the repeat it 10 times thats how i did mine

Got a few. I'll give it a try, cheer's.