New "hunting" Book Sales Web Site

it isn't difficult to write a book, most people have one in them, the problems begin when you try to sell them, e mails and phone calls go without reply, "there is no demand for that kind of book" when they do (I have 190000 hits on the web site which says there is)

http://cumbrian-lad.com/

To that end we are launching the web site below, beside my stuff, we are selling Try Back 2 and have some Bil Birkett and Trevor Hughes as well, might be worth a look.

http://www7.clikpic.com/gone2ground/

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it isn't difficult to write a book, most people have one in them, the problems begin when you try to sell them, e mails and phone calls go without reply, "there is no demand for that kind of book" whe

A HUNT RECORD FROM ULLSWATER 2     On Monday, hounds met at Glencoin, and struck a line which led up Linkindale, over past Sheffield Pike and on to Greenside Crag above the lead mines, where the fo

Posted Images

just over 6 months since we launched the site and we are in profit ! bought a cup presented at Lowther ( runner up champion fell hound) and given some money to charity. to celebrate not going out of business until 14th September 2013 we are offering The Mardale Hunt and Bobby Troughton and the Kendal Otter hounds for £25 inc p and p

(normal price £36) but limited stock

http://www.gone2groundbooks.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this might be of some interest just posted

http://www.lakelandhuntingmemories.com/B_Wilson.htm

What a cracking read, so much detail in there, I was glued to it until the end.

I've walked Striding edge and that tale made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as they say!!

My misses now got several books on my xmas list..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally !!! Lakeland Hunting Songs Vol 2 has emerged from the printers, over 50 songs plus text, 136 pages at A5 only 50 printed price £9.99 inc postage
Just the thing for Christmas and you can have something to sing in the traffic jam on the way to the meet instead of that crap cd you cannot be bothered to replace, We will put it on the G2G SITE SHORTLY, but in the meantime pm me for details we accept PAY PAL

http://www.lakelandhuntingmemories.com/

http://www.gone2groundbooks.co.uk/

Carlisle Otter Hounds

D’ye ken J. W. Graham with his pack so renown,

They hunt all the rivers around Carel town,

They work all the Caldew, the Wampool and the Esk,

With Irthing, the Lyne, and O’Eden the best.

Yes I ken J. W. Graham, Vetch and Amos too

Along with Wood and Nichol, they make pleasure,

They work hard for hunting, the trio they do,

To set it on a footing so grand and so true.

D’ye ken that bitch that makes a good mark,

She was bred a few miles across from the Sark,

She never gives tongue till a sure find,

And is very anxious to leave naught behind.

Yes I ken that bitch and her offspring too,

They have hunted many otters in the presence of you,

They swam to and fro with an echoing ring,

That made the woods sound like birds on the sing.

Now drink J. W. Graham, Vetch and Amos, too,

Along with Wood and Nichol, we wish good health too

Then long may you live and show us good spot,

For you are men of the right hunting sort.

Then here’s to Parker Huntsman with his game little pack,

We trust they will prosper and never look back,

Then come all you lovers and join in the sport,

For the Carlisle Otter Hounds are second to naught.

Then here’s to old Carlisle out ancient little town,

You have seen many a hunt from banks up and down.

Then come all you sons, and follow her track,

For she claimed a pack a hundred years back.

Unknown

• 2 months later...

AT THE PRINTERS!!!!

ULLSWATER 2 COVERING THE YEARS 1914 – 1963, THE “UNOFFICIAL “ HISTORY OF THE ULLSWATER FOXHOUNDS

HERE’S WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT ULLSWATER 1

“AN EPIC” TIM BONNER ...........COUNTRYSIDE ALLIANCE

“GAVE UP DRINK FOR A WEEK WHILE I READ IT”............ JOHN PEEL

“BLOODY FICTION” ............... MAN ON FELL.

Using material from the time, Ullswater 2 is a history of hunts, huntsmen, terrier and hound rescue’s. 70k words, at A5, approx 200 pages, soft back, this book is limited to 50 copies in its current form with no re – print envisaged, to register interest e mail me at cumbrian-lad@hotmail.co.uk selling price £17,99 inc p and p

A HUNT RECORD FROM ULLSWATER 2

On Monday, hounds met at Glencoin, and struck a line which led up Linkindale, over past Sheffield Pike and on to Greenside Crag above the lead mines, where the fox was unkennelled. The route taken was up the top of Sticks Pass and the Raise, then descended and crossed by Keppel Cove climbed Catchedicam and up Swirral Edge to the top of Helvellyn. The fox descended by the path leading to Grasmere, and went through Wythburn to the head of Thirlmere Lake. Climbing to the fell again near the Nag’s Head Inn, hounds received a rather severe check by coming in contact with some sheep, and when trying to pick up the game, roused another fox, but in the meantime portion of the pack had taken the first fox and the others the fresh one. Following the old run fox, it took up by Mines Ghyll to near the top of Helvellyn, then down Brown cove to Thirlspot, and down S. John’s Vale to Wanthwaite Crag, where he “binked.” And when the huntsman and hunters arrived they found the hounds trying to dislodge their game but in vain. A Nelson and T Mills climbed the crag and drove him from his hiding place. Taking along the breast again above Thirlspot, the fox was forced to ground. G. Salkeld was soon there with the terriers, but reynard refused to bolt. He was drawn alive by Joe Allinson and again set at liberty. Before getting far he was rolled over in the open in the presence of most of the hunters. No 2 fox, followed by eight hounds, took across the head of Wythburn onto the Armboth side of the dale, but again returned past the Straining Well and down to the main road near the Nag’s Head Hotel, was finally run into, the brush being lifted by a young lady who was cycling past, and B Wilson (whip) being soon up-FUSEDALE

Westmorland Gazette 14th March 1914

"Binked" ............ to seek refuge on the face of a crag or cliff

Edited by craggers
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

THE HISTORY OF THE ULLSWATER FOXHOUNDS,

1914-1965, PART 2

By Ron Black

With Jean Walton and Jean Gidman,

Edited By Wendy Fraser.

Book Review By Chris Breen.

In 1920, Richard Clapham quite rightly wrote on the subject of fell hunting....“If you go out enough you will find yourself becoming more and more wedded to this wild country, which, in sunshine or storm, has so many attractions for those who are not afraid to tackle it in all its varying moods”. (Foxhunting On The Lakeland Fells, Heaton Cranton 1920)

I quote this as we continue with Part 2 of the Ullswater Foxhounds story. It’s one that will captivate the reader who has “been out enough” or enthral the novice whose curiosity may have been stirred by the first sighting of hounds on a fell or indeed the contents of Part 1. If it is the latter who is thinking of tramping the fells in pursuit of hounds for the first time then you should be made aware of the trials and tribulations of those who have gone before and this book will bring that familiararity. The crags and borrans are still there but alas not all of the people mentioned. Many have rightly gone into the folklore that makes the sport of fell hunting unique. But their feats are here in black and white. It’s hard to imagine life as it was then, but if you have that imagination and an appreciation of the fells, this book will prove easy reading.

The format to the book is the same as Part 1, a tried, tested and successful formula which makes it simple for the reader to select an era or year for reading. The atmospheric photographs accompany hunt reports from back in the day. Also included are notes on hunt business and added quotes from noted gentry of that time. W. G. Skelton, a good supporter of hounds and who penned a book on Bowman has plenty to say in his admiration and others also contribute. Compiled in chronological order, which takes some dedication and patience, it leaves no stone unturned as we venture into the hunting fraternity through the years, including the two world wars, internal politics and the passing of one of the Ullswater Foxhounds favourite sons, the great Joe Bowman.

The compiler and researcher, Ron Black, needs no introduction to the reader and he has become quite proficient in putting together enough interesting information to fill a book of this sort, the second in a trilogy covering the history of the Ullswater Foxhounds. There’s more than enough to whet the appetite with over 180 pages including some as yet unseen photographs. This is a book to read and be enjoyed at leisure after a day on the fell, either with hounds or just merely walking. Part 3 promises to be even better and will bring us up to date, and I know Ron has one or two other irons in the fire for those with an interest in fell hunting. For now though, enjoy this book as it transports you back in time and humbles even the most fittest and staunchest of those among us.

Approx 70000 words, soft back at A5. Black and white with some colour illustrations. Price £25 inc p and p. Available from Gone2Ground books or e mail cumbrian-lad@hotmail.co.uk