Best lurcher or rabbits?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have yet to see a first x Beddy whippet with enough class to be called a superb rabbit dog. They often seem to lack in pace, size and often have the terrier trait of being hard mouthed. I am sure t

most lurcher xs can catch rabbits, but a colliex whippetx grey norm make good rabbit dogs, looking 22-25in would be spot on for the job !

My oppinion would be a beddy x mate maybe a beddy grey or a beddy whippet but thats my oppinion

My personal fav. 3/4 Saluki 1/4 Grey,

but everyone has there own opinions, plus there isn't a magic formula as such,

you can have the best bred dog, from the best lines that might be really abismal when it comes down to it,

then 'Old Gyp from down the road' with no champions or special breeding might wipe the floor with someone's 'Benji Barny bred Khan jihad, Red, Lucky etc' champion .

Just my thoughts

• Like 1

id reccomend a whippet hound or collie hound for rabbits .. most lurchers will catch rabbits if reared right and you put time into them thoo :huh:

Most dogs might catch rabbits, but there is a fair old difference between one that and a class rabbit dog IMO.

I like the idea of a Collie x greyhound x beddy x whippet! [NO TEXT TALK] know anyfin about this mix?! I got told to much collie then can pic the runs and to much beddy can be abit stuborn and have the terrier trait of quite ahard mouth! I dont know alot and thats wat ive read through differnent comments! I like the 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy x also! If [NO TEXT TALK] has any experience on the 2 X's ive mentioned please leave sum advice as wanna get one asap! Many thanks

Got a beddywhippetxcolliegrey 9 months old now had him out hand full of times also have beddyx whippet grey both the same but the collie ads more intelligence where my beddywhippetxgrey just goes on drive will let you know next season atb popps

• Like 1

I like the idea of a Collie x greyhound x beddy x whippet! [NO TEXT TALK] know anyfin about this mix?! I got told to much collie then can pic the runs and to much beddy can be abit stuborn and have the terrier trait of quite ahard mouth! I dont know alot and thats wat ive read through differnent comments! I like the 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy x also! If [NO TEXT TALK] has any experience on the 2 X's ive mentioned please leave sum advice as wanna get one asap! Many thanks

Youre thinking on the right lines here with the ingrediants mate IMO, but i wouldnt want one bred from 1st x's. If you put 2 first x's together theres 3 small dogs in the immediate breeding collie,beddy,whippet, height and weight of bone could be tricky? Years ago 2 mates bred a litter using a beddy hybrid and a collie hybrid, not first x's, and both could take a brown hare fair and square, the pups turned out well, and one bitch owned by a mate was exeptionally good, proper allrounder day and night, dog of a lifetime.

Yeh i only want it at about 20-24 tts! I live in Cornwall the fields are relatively small compare to the open fields and plains north from me! Plus its my first dog so wanna make sure im not dissapointed! What about the collie x grey x whippet?

Dont be too concerned about exactly what is in the breeding mate, as long as you buy it off a decent lad, see the parents and they are fast enough and they do what you want your pup to do. then your probably already onto a winner. Also as personal preference I would get a dog at the bigger end of the height range you mention as you might find it to be more versatile.

• Like 2