Best lurcher or rabbits?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have yet to see a first x Beddy whippet with enough class to be called a superb rabbit dog. They often seem to lack in pace, size and often have the terrier trait of being hard mouthed. I am sure t

most lurcher xs can catch rabbits, but a colliex whippetx grey norm make good rabbit dogs, looking 22-25in would be spot on for the job !

My oppinion would be a beddy x mate maybe a beddy grey or a beddy whippet but thats my oppinion

Hi every one,

New to hunting am looking for the best dog to work on rabbits could some one please advise what's the best x Thanks

most lurcher xs can catch rabbits, but a colliex whippetx grey norm make good rabbit dogs, looking 22-25in would be spot on for the job !

• Like 2

some would say it depends on , how many you expect to catch in a night , what land your running on ,, bla bla

but like whats been said most lurchers will catch a rabbit ..

so have a look through the site there are many types of lurxhers

choose something you like the look of as it will be with you for many a year

• Like 2

ive known beddyx whippet and seeing the one that my uncle owned back up in the north east called toby one hell of a working dog a real good looking and fit he was only 23 inches but its not just the dog you want to rely on its your approach on learning your dog how to hunt.

I have yet to see a first x Beddy whippet with enough class to be called a superb rabbit dog. They often seem to lack in pace, size and often have the terrier trait of being hard mouthed.

I am sure there are exceptions.

Forget a certain cross, just look for dogs who are bred to do the job and most importantly HAVE been doing the job for several seasons to a decent standard. ie. Marking, covering nets, catching, jumping, retrieving (preferably with a soft mouth) biddable etc.

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 4

I have yet to see a first x Beddy whippet with enough class to be called a superb rabbit dog. They often seem to lack in pace, size and often have the terrier trait of being hard mouthed.

Same here i suppose they would do ok but i can't imagine them being anything special...the one i had was ok but i have had far better dog's with no beddy in there..as soon as you put a beddy into a whippet you loose the speed..if i had to choose between a beddy x or a pure whippet i would choose the pure whippet all day long..

• Like 2

Forget a certain cross, just look for dogs who are bred to do the job and most importantly HAVE been doing the job for several seasons to a decent standard. ie. Marking, covering nets, catching, jumping, retrieving (preferably with a soft mouth) biddable etc.

Spot on Sirius... :victory: