Vizsla's intro to cold game

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

used a couple of birds from yesterdays shoot to introduce the pup to cold game,       The wood cock being a small relatively scentless bird was easy for him and he treat it as a dummy    

There is a keeper from the Raby estate Swampy who works his mothers smooth vizsla and has a collection of GWPs and GWP x smooth vizslas. The smooth is a lovely dog but she does suffer on the moor with

Always fancied one of these but it's bloody hard finding one and with a docked tail all the shoots I beat for and go on all are cocker springer and lab mad bar one shoot where I go they have a team of

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know anyone wildfowling with one mate, but they are certainly capable of the job but i would suspect it would take a bit of training to get them to settle down to long waits :D

As for picking game up they will retrieve everything you want them too.

I have taken my wire hair ( no wire coat) out wildfowling a few times now, to be honest he is still only young ( for this breed 3 is still young). He retrieves and swims spot on, the bad points are the fact that he gets bored VERY quickly, this means he likes a chat , and F*** me can he chat !! He also suffers with the cold - have solved this with a neoprene coat. I am now a little more selective as to when I take him out, has to be right for both of us otherwise i'm on my own. My summary would be - pure wildfowling dog ? Most definitely not. All all rounder ? maybe. Wouldn't be without him though, suits my shooting (rough, driven, woodcock and pigeon) down to the ground and couldn't ask for a better family pet

What age do they start to calm down Belly? mine is 10 months old now and mad as a hatter. Very easily trained and has taken everything ive asked of him in his stride but he is the forest gump of the dog world he just keeps running and he probably doesnt know why!

How do you lads find them on being 'soft mouthed'......never seen one yet that wasn't a bone cruncher but i haven't seen that many on shoot days?.. :thumbs:

ive only seen 2 short hair vizslas work before both were fine and my own seems fine at the minute but he has a way to go. However i have seen some super crunchers amongst the labs and spaniels. One 2k field trialler tried to eat a grouse in front of its owner who also owned the moor we were on so no one made a fuss.

ive only seen 2 short hair vizslas work before both were fine and my own seems fine at the minute but he has a way to go. However i have seen some super crunchers amongst the labs and spaniels. One 2k field trialler tried to eat a grouse in front of its owner who also owned the moor we were on so no one made a fuss.

Now you've done it.

Hi Stroller,

Ive been told maturity is around 3-4 years ! ( I bloody hope so, even at 3 he still has his "maddies") To be fair he works very well, he knows exactly what to do it's more a case of getting him to do it EVERY time !

As for soft mouthed, don't think he could be softer. I have the odd issue with a pricked runner but that's about it.

Once the wildfowling finishes it's some serious square bashing and training

:thumbs: