Vizsla's intro to cold game

Willum the reason janos isnt docked is so that people who bought the pups from his litter could show them if they wanted too as the kennel club wont accept docked dogs now. I havent had any tail problems yet (Touch wood)but then again he isnt like my mates GWP whose tail never stops wagging. Time will tell i suppose

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

used a couple of birds from yesterdays shoot to introduce the pup to cold game,       The wood cock being a small relatively scentless bird was easy for him and he treat it as a dummy    

There is a keeper from the Raby estate Swampy who works his mothers smooth vizsla and has a collection of GWPs and GWP x smooth vizslas. The smooth is a lovely dog but she does suffer on the moor with

Always fancied one of these but it's bloody hard finding one and with a docked tail all the shoots I beat for and go on all are cocker springer and lab mad bar one shoot where I go they have a team of

Posted Images

There is a keeper from the Raby estate Swampy who works his mothers smooth vizsla and has a collection of GWPs and GWP x smooth vizslas. The smooth is a lovely dog but she does suffer on the moor with the wet hence the cross. Janos hit the water fairly young at 5 or 6 months old i think with the help of a water mad dog he doesnt love it but equally isnt bothered by it either. Ive done a bit of retrieving from water but i will leave it until the warm weather before i do anymore. He is a rough and ready sort of dog nothing really daunts him. There is a smooth on the syndicate i shoot on she is a cracker of a retriever but doesnt beat well through the rough.

Lab we were only in the field next door there is nowt for him to get caught up on, i always take the collars off when working the older dogs and my lurcher never has a collar on but all that said he did lose one lately out on a walk with friends i can only surmise it got caught on a branch so your right in what your saying.

This is his fourth season beating and he makes me look so good. NOT through anything that I have trained him to do its all natural instinct. He will never win comps or ought but He's a steady dog , who wont range too far. Loves the cover crops and long grass but is slower in the thick woods. Will only go into hawthorns if he has to retrieve, otherwise he'll point to perfection which means that I can get round the right side and drive the bird forward. The spaniels on the beat probably have a greater work rate but tend to burst the partridge too quick which sometimes the other beaters cant turn them forward and they spill out the side. personally I wouldn't have a different breed. They are great all rounders and when walking up he's ideal as he can point out sitting birds giving me time to get ointo position and then flush when I'm ready............ Also he won't pick any birds for my mate which makes me laugh.

Keep us posted on progress....If only to highlight my failings.

rgds

Swampy

Still not hitting the birds ning

i dont know anyone wildfowling with one mate, but they are certainly capable of the job but i would suspect it would take a bit of training to get them to settle down to long waits :D

As for picking game up they will retrieve everything you want them too.

Mine has brought a goose ashore but there was no way he was going to bring it to hand.Just sat there looking at me like I was a lazy sod, Head cocked the lot! My fault due to poor/no training.

I've seen a WHV do it properly in quite choppy sea up in Scotland.

I believe they are very good working with birds of prey though have never seen it first hand.

rgds

Swampy

Lazy ning

It's funny really, so many people talk about dogs not retrieving woodcock but when I brought one home for my dog to train with I had it hung in the cellar. He tried to dig a hole through the floorboards to get at it :icon_eek: and loved retrieving it when it was in the field.

• Like 1

They seem up for the challenge! They surprise you alot the working dog my wee spaniel will bring Canada geese back to me that weigh nearly as much as him!!

Saw a tiny sproker do th same.

Amazing dogs.just don't know when to quit. Owner has to be careful tho as it has collapsed with exhaustion before. Wouldn't mind one myself but my training isn't up to it and an untrained spaniel can wreak havok on a shoot.But a good one is a joy to watch

rgds

Swampy

Bad teacher ning

They seem up for the challenge! They surprise you alot the working dog my wee spaniel will bring Canada geese back to me that weigh nearly as much as him!!

Saw a tiny sproker do th same.

Amazing dogs.just don't know when to quit. Owner has to be careful tho as it has collapsed with exhaustion before. Wouldn't mind one myself but my training isn't up to it and an untrained spaniel can wreak havok on a shoot.But a good one is a joy to watch

rgds

Swampy

Bad teacher ning

If your are prepared to put the hours in you will end up with a half decent dog providing it comes in when called and you can put the brakes on it when needed my wee spaniel stays in the house and sleeps in my room you'd think he would be ruined but on a shoot day Ive had a few people say he's a good dog and thats purely down to time and effort spent training him.