Vizsla's intro to cold game

used a couple of birds from yesterdays shoot to introduce the pup to cold game,

13_01_06_013.jpg

13_01_06_008.jpg

The wood cock being a small relatively scentless bird was easy for him and he treat it as a dummy

13_01_06_006.jpg

13_01_06_005.jpg

With the much larger pheasant it was a different matter after he barked at it a few times he eventually picked it up

Some more pictures just for the hell of it

13_01_06_012.jpg

13_01_06_010.jpg

13_01_06_007.jpg

13_01_06_003.jpg

13_01_06_001.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

used a couple of birds from yesterdays shoot to introduce the pup to cold game,       The wood cock being a small relatively scentless bird was easy for him and he treat it as a dummy    

There is a keeper from the Raby estate Swampy who works his mothers smooth vizsla and has a collection of GWPs and GWP x smooth vizslas. The smooth is a lovely dog but she does suffer on the moor with

Always fancied one of these but it's bloody hard finding one and with a docked tail all the shoots I beat for and go on all are cocker springer and lab mad bar one shoot where I go they have a team of

Posted Images

impressed with the woodcock, ive noticed a lot of young dogs [a few older ones for that matter] will blank on woodcock and snipe, i'm always delighted when my young uns take to them. lovely looking dog, if circumstances were different i'd be sorely tempted by a vizla but for now i'll stick with my "dinky cockers" ;)

I have a smooth Vizsla. He won't pick up a cold bird. Interestingly someone commented on wodcock and snipe and mine wont pick them either along with maggies and crows. Rips squirrells to shreds yet soft as anything on partridge pigeon, pheasant, duck and rabbits etc.

Quite fancy the WHV. Someone said they tend to be a tougher because of their coats but I can't speak from experience. I've also heard they don't mind the water so much fro the same reason. HAve to say that my boy does suffer in the cold if wet.

Nice looking dog mate

Rgds

Swampy

Hungarian ning

My 6 month old Wire Viz jumped in the River Weir New years Day :icon_eek:

Not the introduction i had planned for her, but she took it all in her stride and was in no hurry to get out :thumbs:

Like strollers dog, her coat is very tight and the cold dose not seem to bother her.

Water entry for mine is a very considered approach fro him. Never jumps in. Which I'm OK with as you neer know whats under the water. Have always thought that a Vizsla is how a hunting dog should look like.

I also love their temperament. Craves my approval and company and as soppy as you like with kids.

rgds

Swampy

Soft ning

There is a keeper from the Raby estate Swampy who works his mothers smooth vizsla and has a collection of GWPs and GWP x smooth vizslas. The smooth is a lovely dog but she does suffer on the moor with the wet hence the cross. Janos hit the water fairly young at 5 or 6 months old i think with the help of a water mad dog he doesnt love it but equally isnt bothered by it either. Ive done a bit of retrieving from water but i will leave it until the warm weather before i do anymore. He is a rough and ready sort of dog nothing really daunts him. There is a smooth on the syndicate i shoot on she is a cracker of a retriever but doesnt beat well through the rough.

Lab we were only in the field next door there is nowt for him to get caught up on, i always take the collars off when working the older dogs and my lurcher never has a collar on but all that said he did lose one lately out on a walk with friends i can only surmise it got caught on a branch so your right in what your saying.

• Like 1

There is a keeper from the Raby estate Swampy who works his mothers smooth vizsla and has a collection of GWPs and GWP x smooth vizslas. The smooth is a lovely dog but she does suffer on the moor with the wet hence the cross. Janos hit the water fairly young at 5 or 6 months old i think with the help of a water mad dog he doesnt love it but equally isnt bothered by it either. Ive done a bit of retrieving from water but i will leave it until the warm weather before i do anymore. He is a rough and ready sort of dog nothing really daunts him. There is a smooth on the syndicate i shoot on she is a cracker of a retriever but doesnt beat well through the rough.

Lab we were only in the field next door there is nowt for him to get caught up on, i always take the collars off when working the older dogs and my lurcher never has a collar on but all that said he did lose one lately out on a walk with friends i can only surmise it got caught on a branch so your right in what your saying.

Yip thats exactly the reason mate, not a fashion statement its solely for injury purposes i dont like them.............ATB with your training. If you stick at it you maybe get it somewhere near the standard of a half decent Lab...... :whistling::angel::tongue2:

Always fancied one of these but it's bloody hard finding one and with a docked tail all the shoots I beat for and go on all are cocker springer and lab mad bar one shoot where I go they have a team of chessys picking up

• Like 1

I like the labs mate it is one of my favourite breeds, we look after a lot of pet labs (Home boarding and day care) unfortunately about 80% of them are overweight and usually ball obsessive and i know a lot of shooting lads with labs and i have a labradoodle or 3 sitting in front of me as i type ( The vizsla is trying to get on my knee)and a good lab is hard to beat. :thumbs: