is lamping hares easier than daytime?

Lamping Hares?.Best left to the daytime in my opinion.True test of a Lurcher

your correct there about daytime hares being the best test of a dog but what about us lot who do not keep saluki crosses and walk feilds for them during the daytime what about lamping dogs should you not slip your dog on a hare on the lamp because its not a true test for your dog. i bet you have slipped your dog on a hare on a plough feild were the hare cannot run its best but somehow it is ok because its "daytime"

it all depends on the dogs you run if you had a pure whippet or a half cross collie are they going to catch a daytime hare with any consistance? i think lamping hares would be spot for that. just because there lamped dont mean they just roll over and die i have seen quite a few 5 min courses on the lamp and some that of ended quicker than other just like daytime. they are mostly going to be a fractionly easier because its dark and the fact there is a dazzler in there face but as a said they dont just roll over and die...

Mate; if you have seen "quite a few 5 min courses on the lamp", then I suggest you look at your watch for 5 minutes and see how long that actualy is.....or get better dogs ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

what if your dogs had a hard night before it meets its first hare are they easy then charts?do you slip do you not , knowing your dog might get a tanking or not ? ive seen some good runs at night have you?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dont be so silly, just walk into any field, drop ye rucksack, shine the ole blitz about an they will all run straight up the beam an jump into ye bag, dont ye know nowt ffs......

i think everyone would agree that hares were generally a lot easier to take on the lamp.thats not to say that they cant give you a good run in the night either,it depends on lots of things .what i wou

5mins in the beam,,,either ur chasing them in motor,,round round the feild,,,,or they are just running round and round the same feild,,,and cant find the exit

round and round the merry go round ,,,hinding in corners of the feild canny find the exit ,,,its tooooo dark ,,,lol

your correct there about daytime hares being the best test of a dog but what about us lot who do not keep saluki crosses and walk feilds for them during the daytime what about lamping dogs should you not slip your dog on a hare on the lamp because its not a true test for your dog. i bet you have slipped your dog on a hare on a plough feild were the hare cannot run its best but somehow it is ok because its "daytime"

it all depends on the dogs you run if you had a pure whippet or a half cross collie are they going to catch a daytime hare with any consistance? i think lamping hares would be spot for that. just because there lamped dont mean they just roll over and die i have seen quite a few 5 min courses on the lamp and some that of ended quicker than other just like daytime. they are mostly going to be a fractionly easier because its dark and the fact there is a dazzler in there face but as a said they dont just roll over and die...

Mate; if you have seen "quite a few 5 min courses on the lamp", then I suggest you look at your watch for 5 minutes and see how long that actualy is.....or get better dogs ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

what if your dogs had a hard night before it meets its first hare are they easy then charts?do you slip do you not , knowing your dog might get a tanking or not ? ive seen some good runs at night have you?

I've never seen a dog run a hare for five minutes on the lamp !! Five minutes would most certainly be considered a "grueller" during the day ! If a dog runs a hare for five minutes on the lamp, it should not be considered a lamping dog. If you think it's OK to run a hare for five minutes on the lamp, well..............

Cheers.

five mins in the lamp on a hare is a very long time :yes:

30 seconds,with a few twists and turns seems a lifetime in the lamp,one mans 5 minutes of excitement will be over quicker for others.If the mutt struggles in the daytime on longer gallops a lamp will make more of an hare dog out of a useless daytime jukel.
  • Like 2

It all depend on the ground your lamping them on. Feilds with dips and hills where you can lose it in the beam and lots of gaps and gates give the hare a great advantage but if you are lamping them in flat fields which are fenced with sheep wire almost make it a garuntee for the dog to catch the hare.

• Like 1

It all depend on the ground your lamping them on. Feilds with dips and hills where you can lose it in the beam and lots of gaps and gates give the hare a great advantage but if you are lamping them in flat fields which are fenced with sheep wire almost make it a garuntee for the dog to catch the hare.

thats all we have, very few 'nice' fields to run them in and we also have several spots referred to as the untouchables. the untouchables will make the best hare dog look shit

Well with your Catch/Pull/Kill dogs not much is getting away from you SHH day or night :laugh:

You's know what iam saying fellah's everything easier on the lamp. Dont understanad why this always comes up...?

Not that i give a fcuk as mine cant bother day or night :icon_redface:

Why is it that coursing lads seem to think the sun shines out of a hares ass there only big rabbits.

the jury is out on that :laugh:

Based on outward appearances you might think that rodents and lagomorphs are closely related. They do have a similar appearance, they exist in similar ecological nichesbook.gif, they are vegetarian, and they have continuously growing incisors, but they are fundamentally different. Mammalogists now think that lagomorphs are more closely related to ungulates (the hoofed mammals) than to rodents.

Rabbit young are born naked and rather helpless (altricialbook.gif). Hares bear young that are furred and able to move about shortly after birth

Why is it that coursing lads seem to think the sun shines out of a hares ass there only big rabbits.

Based on outward appearances you might think that rodents and lagomorphs are closely related. They do have a similar appearance, they exist in similar ecological nichesbook.gif, they are vegetarian, and they have continuously growing incisors, but they are fundamentally different. Mammalogists now think that lagomorphs are more closely related to ungulates (the hoofed mammals) than to rodents.

Rabbit young are born naked and rather helpless (altricialbook.gif). Hares bear young that are furred and able to move about shortly after birth

Yes but why should they get any special treatment over other quarry

Yes but why should they get any special treatment over other quarry

all quarry should be treated with equal respect :thumbs: