Whats the best time of the evening/night for fox??

evening all , went out around 11 friday night , saw nothing in the 60 acre block i shoot on the farm i look after ,walking back to the house and theres charlie and his mrs sat on the silage pit next to my house think its more about the luck of the draw this time of year plus the lady down the lane feeds foxes from her back door (madness) so there fairly tame . as for the time of day i can usually squeak a charlie or two anywhen between dusk and dawn although they are plentyfull round here .

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats some shot 35 miles. You should be on the next series of top shot. LOL

What's with the weird lettering?

My 2 cents worth would say to be where you want to be just as it's getting dark. Then work later into the night depending on results. A fox can be around any time of the day or night. Even with the le

evening all , went out around 11 friday night , saw nothing in the 60 acre block i shoot on the farm i look after ,walking back to the house and theres charlie and his mrs sat on the silage pit next to my house think its more about the luck of the draw this time of year plus the lady down the lane feeds foxes from her back door (madness) so there fairly tame . as for the time of day i can usually squeak a charlie or two anywhen between dusk and dawn although they are plentyfull round here .

Must be quite a sight watching her feed foxes from her "back door"!! Must take some practice to! :laugh:

didnt realise what was going on until her sheep got out , me and the mrs went to tell her and as we were stood by the back door talking to her charlie came walking across her garden to a dog bowl about 15ft from us and started eating ive never seen anything like it before.

Must be quite a sight watching her feed foxes from her "back door"!! Must take some practice to! :laugh:

I just spat drink all over myself laughing to that , cheers mate lol

I just spat drink all over myself laughing to that , cheers mate lol

just realised what i wrote lol , true though lads

Regarding the comments about foxes either singly or in pairs;

Lots I guess had snow over the last couple of days. I always look forward to the 1st snow of the year, just to see if the wildlife is where I think it is

Now, I don't go lamping, the odd foxes I get are usually walked up or suicide cases that pop their heads up 50 yrds away to pinch the bunnies I've knocked over.

Anyway, shotgun over arm I decided to have a yomp around at 1st light, coverered a fair acreage to be honest and;

There where 1 hell of a lot more fox tracks than I expected, and inline with the above they were all in singles.

Almost every hedgerow had been followed quite rigidly, with only excursions into the bunny tracks were they lead into the field s and back

They also seemed to prefer deep tractor ruts to the actual hedgerow where these were present

Very few tracks went diagonally across the fields, which I thought unusual as most of the foxes I see in daylight take the quickest and directest route, I'm guessing they have more confidence to scour the edges at night rather than run for cover due to daylight exposure.

Lots of evidence of rabbit chasing but didn't see clear sight of a kill, very interesting morning, but well knackered.

Continueing this;

We had a few more inches of snow the next day, so out again and this 1 is a puzzle to me???

On 1 of the farms I visit they have a row of round bales left along a hedge side. These are the 4ft dia type and were 4 deep for over 200yds along the hedge, hundreds of them.

It's an area I don't normally associate with large numbers of rabbits, but they are obviously there, but, the thing was that the majority of the tracks where 4ft up on top of the bales. Almost evryone of the hundreds of bales had multiple tracks across them. Could see where they had scambled up in between.

So, ok, they have plenty of voids in there to nest and hide, but why run about all over the top, any food up there would be gettable from under cover?? Strange.

bollocks to all

everywhere diifferes keep a good eye out and ask land owners wat time usually seen

So what about at this time of year Geoff when it is dark at 5. The landowners may not see them!!

What about like on one of my permissions where the landowner owns 5000 acres which goes all around a headland and up several remote valleys!! The landowner can't be there all the time!!!

A bit of inexperience, naivity or only apply the situation to your own circs I think!!

Not sure, maybe just investigating if there is food up there, or maybe they always go up there, but without the snow you didn't realise?

Exactly, did wonder if they felt safer on there possibly, fox tracks all about, rabbit tracks into field and back then into bales.

bollocks to all

everywhere diifferes keep a good eye out and ask land owners wat time usually seen

So what about at this time of year Geoff when it is dark at 5. The landowners may not see them!!

What about like on one of my permissions where the landowner owns 5000 acres which goes all around a headland and up several remote valleys!! The landowner can't be there all the time!!!

A bit of inexperience, naivity or only apply the situation to your own circs I think!!

lol are your land owners scared of the dark lol

as said before bollocks to all above.

foxes do not have a set routine

yes they may go to the Same places now and again but the chance of a snack will redirect there initial thoughts.

how do i know because i have tried it as im not a weekend hunter who spends most my time on the computer.

lets here some more self importance ranting from yourself again lmao

i used to work in a power station and there was a tame fox that lived there it did the place a favour as there was alt of feral cats and rats the fox kept there numbers down.

the fox used to sit out side the canteen at 7 at nite and we used to give it scraps.

i had a video on my old phone of hand feeding it i will have to look for it.

know the times in which i seen it varied some days you would see it searching up the shore line just on the edge of the power stations and sometimes it would wait outside our changing hit a 3am as we would give it food.

there is also very tame pheasants that walks into the huts and wee give it biscuits there a video of my father feeding them on youtube.