knife sharpening

woz

Hi..I'm goin through my hunting gear sorting out my kit..iv got a knife that I had made years ago by JES...I can't get an edge on it. It's a quality bit of kit so the problem lies with me....iv tried. Gerber ceramic sharpener....blade tech and a water stone...help please lol...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Bob and Woz,   We manufacture the Blade Tech Knife sharpener and I can 110% guarantee that it will not damage any knife you put through it whether it's a cheap knife or expensive as long as it's

Hi....I carry an opinal knife and a blade tech sharpener in my pocket every day and it does fine....with my hand made skinning knife the sharper wasn't any use at all..it put a inbalanced beval on the

If its a good knife I wouldnt use a bladetech, apparently they ruin a good `un. I thought they were good, certainly do the trick for opinel`s. I would of thought a whetsone would have done the job. Do you think you could have done it in with the bladetech? I would try and grind an edge on it with a 600 stone then hone with a 1000/6000 stone. Youtube have loads of whetstone vids.

It is down to the angle that you use on the stone,and it is easy to guess a 45 deg angle so do that and then half it,and you must use the same angle on both sides.If you grind the edge of one side at 22 1/2 deg until you get a thin wire all the way down the length of the blade and then do the other side until it is down equal then it should be pretty good and then polish it off on a leather strop to make it razorlike.

Martin

Just watched a tutorial on you tube...its taken two hours with the wet stone to take the damage the blade tech has done.or more to the point iv done...its sharper one side than the other....oh the joys of ignorance lol...

It is down to the angle that you use on the stone,and it is easy to guess a 45 deg angle so do that and then half it,and you must use the same angle on both sides.If you grind the edge of one side at 22 1/2 deg until you get a thin wire all the way down the length of the blade and then do the other side until it is down equal then it should be pretty good and then polish it off on a leather strop to make it razorlike.

Martin

Spot on totally agree,

Get yourself a Veritas sharpening guide or simular, you can then set an angle and you know that all the time the blade is clamped at that angle it is being cut at the constant angle. Do the same on other side, then strop away.If you don't want to spend money on a rig as said above get friendly with your butcher.

I know someone with a shrade knife and he finds it hard to get a good edge on his

I think it's something to do with the metal maybe !

I use a starkie diamond sharpening card

It's same size as a credit card with a flat diamond smoth side and fits in wallet and does the trick

Had it 15 years and no sign of ware yet