How do you keep your dogs energy levels up?

Just a discussion point really. My mate has a 2 year old GWP nice dog works really hard as in it covers a lot of distance. Its not too skinny but could do with a bit of beef on it.

2 weeks ago when out shooting it had a bit of a wobbler just before the break for lunch , probably a dip in sugar levels we thought so he had a couple of sausage rolls and some bonio biscuits and went on to work fine for the rest of the day.

yesterday the dog packed in just gave up, left his owner who was beating and came to sit next to me on the peg tail between his legs and looking thouroughly miserable. it was the wettest day shooting we have had this year and the dog doesnt have much of a coat yet (I beleive the coat thickens with age).

This year on the grouse moor we beat on i witnessed a couple of spaniels going through pretty much the same thing.

How would you combat this problem?

The big labradoodle in my avatar has never suffered like this he gets his usual ration in the morning and works moor/woods fine. However he is a plodder everything is at a steady pace he wont run unless its too retrieve. and he is a very fit dog at 8 years old he clears walls and fences like they arent there and covers miles of moorland easily. His coat is strong and thick and gets cut in August before the beginning of the season to help keep him cool and it grows thick enough to keep him warm when working pheasent/partridge.

just as an add on my 8 month old HWV has a thicker coat than the GWP it isnt as long but is denser.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No amount of feeding or fancy drinks or adatives will make up for a lack of fitness and the simple fact is most folks don't excersise their dogs anywhere near enough to replicate a full day in the fe

Ha Ha HA,thats made me chuckle Whirling Derbish,what ever it is ? It may be that dried food thats not helping sending it up ? you`ll know what i mean 26% an all that garble...................Get it on

Paulus,   It does make a difference to the dogs general condition over a period of time when you are working dogs seriously,all the crack on the circuit during the picking up season is "i`ve got mi

Hi, I've never had this problem with my Labrador, but have heard many and witnessed once this issue with spaniels and from my experience I think you could be right about sugar levels. We were beating through marsh land on one of the last drives of the day, when the gentleman next to me's dog just dropped, it had its eyes open but was switched off. He carried it back to the beaters trailer, where one of the other guns near on forced a mars bar in its mouth, after about 15 minutes and plenty of fuss it seemed fine, he didn't work it again that day but looked as keen as it did at the start of the day. I was always told a Labrador will work until it is tired, a spaniel will work until it drops....

Brill Topic,

Re-hydration is just as important in dogs as humans,especially when your feeding your dogs on that dried food crap.So when your having that swig of water on the moor make sure "Old Bess" gets even more,even more regularly as she`s just done ten times more work than yourself !!!!!! Prevention is better than cure !!!!!!!.

Also Pemican bar is brill for maintaining energy levels,so when you get your picking up/beating money spend a bit on the dogs diet and not all on your own.

But to be honest apart from the first 4 weeks of the Grouse and warm weather,i find my dogs fitness levels are brilliant.

Stick in there kid.

i know hydration is important but there has been that much surface water about the dogs have had ample oppurtunity to drink, i know what you mean about feeding dry food my vizsla cant get enough to drink and pisses like a horse all the time so this week he is coming off dry food to see if it helps. mind at 8 months he is like a whirling derbish and doesnt know how to sit still!

Ha Ha HA,thats made me chuckle Whirling Derbish,what ever it is ? It may be that dried food thats not helping sending it up ? you`ll know what i mean 26% an all that garble...................Get it on that flesh diet and throw your shit spade away !! there`s even a supplier doon the road from you.

Mind how ya gan ......

• Like 1

i know hydration is important but there has been that much surface water about the dogs have had ample oppurtunity to drink, i know what you mean about feeding dry food my vizsla cant get enough to drink and pisses like a horse all the time so this week he is coming off dry food to see if it helps. mind at 8 months he is like a whirling derbish and doesnt know how to sit still!

Try covering his dry food with warm water and letting it soak for a few minutes before draining it off, your dog will take on enough liquid to stop him pissing like a horse and wanting to drink after eating dry biscuits. Tripe is also very good to add to dry food to soften it up a bit.

Smokey

I feed biscuits but I add warm water. I also like to add raw when in the working season. My dogs get free roam to hunt up when out for walks and are always on the move. If I feel like it I take the bike. Never let me down but there's not an ounce of fat on them!!

Paulus,

It does make a difference to the dogs general condition over a period of time when you are working dogs seriously,all the crack on the circuit during the picking up season is "i`ve got mine on 23%/24%/25%/26% now",it makes me laugh ! It`s like running an F1 car on a lower rated octane fuel.

When my dogs, 5-8, if dogs are in training are let out in the exercise pen i can put the No 2`s from my own dogs in a pint glass !!

I even had one bloke on a shoot say to me "do your dogs not eat any of the birds that they are sent to retrieve" I laughed and said " it does`nt seem to be the case with all these birds hanging on my game carriers".

I even had a situation in a trial i was running in this year when i was sent for a partridge out in front,the dog came back with a (stinker) a partridge with it`s breast eaten into by hawk/ buzzard or something,delivered it perfectly to hand.It was obviously in the same area as the shot bird,consequently i was sent back for the shot partridge to complete my round.

The Barf diet takes planning but once you get into that routine the positives out weigh the negatives ! "Just what we use in dog training "

Have a good one Keith.

• Like 1

got to agree the barf diet is the best for dogs, couldnt put weight on my springer or lurcher with dried food, 6 weeks on raw meet and veg i own 2 differant dogs, there drive has improved as with coat, teeth and general condition. as said above there water consumption is minimal and shiting in there pens is reduced if not non exsistant.

my lurcher will loose drive if soaked to the skin as she smooth coated i dont think she retains heat very well when wet, never managed to burn my spaniel out yet.

If the dog is in good nick health wise and if you have to feed complete, then get a good 'un and soak the biscuits. Remember compete is never really complete and i'd always add extra protein and veg a few times a week. The old greyhound men will always advise to keep food sloppy, to keep weight and energy levels up. BARF is always best mind but it can be difficult for some to feed. One other thing, when Lurchers are expected to put a hard shift in drinks with electrolite in during and after are always advised. Can't see it being any different for any hard working dog.