ferreting dog that yaps

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I could get my old cocker too mark he could play the trumpet for all I care

Alot of ferreting dogs yip and yap working rough land, never botherd me. MARKING HOLES, working cover ,holding netted rabbits,working with long nets, catching the escapees,being a usefull companion.

If i was in the same position it would make no difference.   If the dogs keen i would work him as often as i could.   He might quieten down a bit when is confidence is boosted   Then again he mi

Cant see it having too much effect. I do alot of shooting over ferrets and rabbits bolt like a dream most of the time. And a 12 bore is ALOT louder than any yap. Atb

each to there own i prefer a nice traditional method with nets and a dukel as we do alot of hedges and i wouldnt use a gun because i dont think its safe ...............you can miss a rabbit with a gun but not usually with a net and you could be putting pugs at risk from a shot towards the ground...........lol............. and then you got the dog as back up

and i think the bag would be better the traditional way...........(just my opionion)

i like the tranquility of the countryside and it would do my head in with that racket let alone what state the meat is in after they had a cartridge put in them...............

but some places may suit your needs of a gun , i dont know.......... :thumbs:

I aint talking about whats a better method im answering the posters qestion. But for the record most times i go out we use pursenets/longnets and dogs. But using the shotty can be a good method ferret in no disturbance on the warren and ALOT of ground can be covered QUICKLY. Like you said each to there own. Atb

My dog can be loud ons scent when bushing which make's it easier to locate him. He covers quite a lot of ground on his own so it is nice to know where he is. This does not seem to produce less bunnies. He's extremely silent and concentrated when I lay up the nets and put the ferret in. At this point your dog should be absolutely silent imho. I have noticed with the dog from a ferreting buddy, that having a dog barking all over the place will cause more digging to happen and less bunnies to bolt.

Apart from less rabbits bolting, more digging it will also draw more attention than you'd like.

If i was in the same position it would make no difference.

If the dogs keen i would work him as often as i could.

He might quieten down a bit when is confidence is boosted

Then again he might not.

either way i wouldnt be loosing any sleep over it

• Like 1

If its a runner, i think it should be using its energy to run rather than yap. I've seen it a few times, usually down to frustration, to me it sounds like a dog is talking to me when it yaps, saying i've given up already.

Seen it mostly on dogs that have been started way to early, and got into the mindset that it canot catch them before its old enough to have the confidence.

• Like 1

my whippet yaps. rabbits still bolt. she still catches.

even lamping it doesnt really affect the night. only downside is we have to make sure we are on permission.

what you want to be more concerned about is the fcuking dogs that stand at an entrance with their faces down the burrow, not if the dog lets out a little yap while its chasing.

my dogs lucky she can even run and im grateful that she can. so a bit of yapping or even backflipping for that matter i can happily put up with.