netting hares

goose123

If you fancy a hare for pot and don't happen to own some majestic looking saluki cross whip out the gate net. Its on my to do list and in this neck of woods would require fair bit of time invested to suss what is going where. Certainly not easy

• Like 1

unreal even thinking about it they were born to run thats no sport :nono:

There speaks a man who's never done any long netting....

Don't condemn another mans sport just because you don't do it yourself. Not everyone has access to a running dog, and not everyone would want to break the law by running hares.

Each to their own but I cant see any sport in netting or trapping.

maybe you need to open your eyes a little then buddy. being one dimensional would bore me to tears.

In todays climate you need more than one bow for your fiddle to keep your permission

• Like 2

Each to their own but I cant see any sport in netting or trapping.

Perhaps because you have never taken the time to learn the considerable skills need to do either well? To be honest there is absolutly no skill needed to walk a field with a dog then slip it at the intended target. Personally I am not into trapping (apart from rats in the garden that is) But I can appreciate the work of a skilled trapper and what he needs to know to be consistanly catching.

TC

• Like 2

netting hares wasnt as easy as i thought it would be at the end of the season there had one in a longnet an one in a gatenet an both got away..iv a bit of learning to do i think

:laugh:@Banter... :clapper:

Netting hares and rabbits is great fun,..more so,... after dark... :thumbs:

• Like 3

netting hares wasnt as easy as i thought it would be at the end of the season there had one in a longnet an one in a gatenet an both got away..iv a bit of learning to do i think

:laugh:@Banter... :clapper:

Netting hares and rabbits is great fun,..more so,... after dark... :thumbs:

lol a bad workman blames his tools il have a better set up for start of season. iv got the lay of the land and took note of 5 or 6 killer runs out into a well wired of lane that four stopnets could cover. The runs are getting covered with fox nets their as good as in the bag.

• Like 1

Back up the truck boy's, I have no doubt there are skill's in netting / trapping.

I couldn't see the sport element.

for me it was same buzz as dropping a ferret or terrier calling a fox or getting a good run at a hare

• Like 2

Back up the truck boy's, I have no doubt there are skill's in netting / trapping.

I couldn't see the sport element.

Long netting at night is not to everyones taste, you either get it or you don't. But those who get it will tell you it can be so hard. Have a look back at the posts, people who thought it was just a matter of sticking a net out and walking the rabbits back into the net, have made when they cannot catch a rabbit with the nets. Long netting is very sporting indeed, in fact I would say it is more sporting than lamping a dog in the same fields.

To qualify the above statement I give you an example of a field where all the rabbits run to wood on one side of the field. With a dog and lamp as long as there is a wind blowing you can catch rabbits in that field. However if the wood is on the west side of the field and there is a westerly wind then it is not available to do. If the wind is from the north or south you have a chance, depending on the access. so the only wind that is really suitable for that drop would be an easterly then if the access is on the east side of the field it again makes it very difficult to get into position to drop your nets without the rabbits seeing, smelling or hearing you. Long netting is very sporting indeed and does take a lot of skill to master.

TC

• Like 1