Hard Aussie Hounds

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU CAN SEE KANES POINT OF VIEW THOUGH MATE..NOT DECRYING THE ABILITY OF THOSE HOUNDS BUT ANY HALF DECENT ALL ROUND RUNNING DOG SHOULD MARMALISE FOXES ON HIS OWN.....

Maybe they do.

• 2 weeks later...
If thats hard dogs your welcome to them.

"results thats all that matters" i think i remember someone saying

True results do matter and each to his own but dogs baying at a feral pig or going in mob handed isnt my idea of hard.Seen a video of bullxs taking feral pigs in the uk and to be honest [bANNED TEXT] the dogs in question did it single handed and made it look easy.Perhaps they might be classed of more of a hard dog.By the way I have seen and owned collie xs half the size of thet Deerhound that take fox.

Wouldnt you agree that it would be harder for the Deerhound to take fox due to its size and lack of speed on the turn than it would be for a smaller dog. I know those smaller dogs Bull/Whip/Stag/Grey where alot quicker on the turn than the Deerhound. If we where out to test the dogs we would of ran them single handed. But we where in it to win it, and also try to bring my pup on.

Looks like we may have to get some photo's up of James' Bulldogs to satisfy you Kane, if its meatheads you want to see. We will have to get some pics up of these dogs taking Hares single handed aswell.

But I sure had a good time, and the dogs did a fine job

Edited by Mitch
  • 3 weeks later...

Pity that this post was a little tainted by opinion but that's part of the forum. A couple of things worth mentioning: before you get to eat old scruffy boris, you have to kill him and before that you have to catch him. Look at the country in the pics: flat open/scrub. For those not familiar with wild boar (sus scrofa ) they can shift, they can jump, their heads are like concrete rams and their breast sheilds are like iron. One decent sized boar will easily out-match a single dog in most circumstances in the wild, even when the dog catches it: they are strong and efficient. What's a feral pig really? These are also dangerous but not the same as a Eurasion boar and a smart dog works in a pack. You have to qualify the opponents, environment etc, if you want to have a real discussion. You'd need more than a single bullyx (particularly if terrier in x) to even get a sniff of the boar on open ground. Sight hound crosses are great in this environment and a deerhound base is also great on steep brushy terrain since the back end is made to power up hills.They'll often take down Blue Flyers in Oz too. If that hasn't got your attention, you are most definitely asleep!

I think the only thing that counts is that the fox is in the bag and the pig is in the oven!Great pics!!! :notworthy:

:yes::yes::yes: .. and the young dog's are still alive.. :thumbs: ..

Millet

hey kane that brindle dog pup is just gone 12 months and since that pic found and caught a 50k boar lugged the ear and held it long enough for me to use a 22 to end it no injuries no fuss he also has taken 6 foxes single handed

his mother the litle brindle bitch also takes fox single handed and just for the record she has caught numerouse blue flyers in her younger days si its time to pull your head in

Now, now mate, I know what they are capable of as do you, they might not be everyones cup of tea but what dog is. Like you though I dont have the need to replace an inadequate apentage wih a meathead on the back of the ute. LOL And before I get bagged out I have lots of mates with meathead dogs.

Go the pinheads

Well fellas, the initail tital was intended as "Hard Aussie Hounds" meaning i should of said "Hard Aussie Sighthounds"

Becuase i reckon this bunch of dogs are deff hard in the sighthound department. I have worked with the meatheads on a couple of occasion and never caught a pig with them though. I love watching the work to find the pigs, Sitting on the back of the ute with noses in the air. To me its all about how the dogs work,

Personally i like my bitch, she has a chance at catching me anything i point her at. Be its rabbits one day, or a few pigs if i ever get the chance. I got her for the ferreting, and she does the job well enough for me.

I like abit of versatility, as this is what we need. If we where just after pigs, maybey I would look for a nice meathead like my freinds dogs. But i would deff want a sighthound in the back, love watching the speed they can acheive thats what floats my boat so to speak,

P.S J.C, it would be good but i want to show you them dogs when they hit the high 60 clicks

Edited by Mitch
Guest reload

Boys don't take any notice of postie/Kane, too much testosterone, far too macho....lol

Good dogs doing the business, simple.......Good too see your dog coming on mitch mate :clapper: :clapper:

This makes coming on this forum worth while... :D

Edited by reload

i belive a good staghound can do anything but you cant stick a pig if the dogs havnt got a hold of it and if the dog lets go just befor your about to stick it then your only seconds away from getting a tusk through the legs miles from anywhere all in all if a dog wont lugg up then it anit worth nothin to any seriouse pig hunter