308 for roe

Guest remmy

These below, were taken with a Krico .308, using a 150 gr ballistic tip bullet, with, 44 grains vihtavuori fast burning powder, 2500 feet per second. 2700 foot pounds.

Shot last saturday, at the start of the fallow buck season over here.

Ranges were all below 200 yds and all went straight down, dead, with high lung shots.

Heart and lungs pulverised inside.

Frank.

post-2857-1189149283_thumb.jpg

post-2857-1189149305_thumb.jpg

Frank you old dog! Here was me thinking that with you selling your .223 that would be the end of your shooting! Good stuff buddy, the 308 had done a tidy job indeed.

If the shot is boiler-roomed in the right spot then i cant imagine it makes tood much difference whether you use a .243 or 30-06. The rib cage doesn't offer too much resistance and if the heavier bullets going at the right speed won't splatter the beast any worse than a smaller, quicker round. Shoulder pinning with a larger cal. tends to mince them a bit more although i've only really seen this a couple of times with Fallows shot with a 7mil mauser in woodland and it pretty much pushed one shoulder through the other side.

• 3 weeks later...