308 for roe

Guest remmy

Guest remmy

whats your views on a 308 for roe, i have a mate who shoots this cal and swears by it whats your views on it guys, thinking of changing from 243 to 308 rgds remmy........

Edited by remmy

i have a .308 and have shot roe and red with it and two muntjac, shooting roe is see no problems mybe that it is a touch on the heavy side but thats no bad thing only problem is as local yocal said is if a fox turns up. i since have got .243 aswell and use it for muntjac which is better, i still shoot roe with .308 tho. a well placed shot from .308 is as good as you will get.

Guest remmy
i have a .308 and have shot roe and red with it and two muntjac, shooting roe is see no problems mybe that it is a touch on the heavy side but thats no bad thing only problem is as local yocal said is if a fox turns up. i since have got .243 aswell and use it for muntjac which is better, i still shoot roe with .308 tho. a well placed shot from .308 is as good as you will get.

what a great pair of pups you have there, my mate shot a buck with me in may , 100yds heart shot the buck just fell over no meat damage at all as clean as a whistle, i have tried a number of bullets through my 243 and they all still run on abit rgds remmy

the last bugger was shot 135yds high lung shot and it ran 150yds, i smell shite foxy mate..................... :whistling::whistling:

i don,t think it really matters where you shoot the bugger, heart or lungs, some run on , some don,t ,the only guaranteed drop shots are neck,spine or head

the last bugger was shot 135yds high lung shot and it ran 150yds, i smell shite foxy mate..................... :whistling::whistling:

Aye Remmy , but that beast was so pumped up after running about all over chasing those other deer it was never going to drop on the spot mate unless youd necked it !!

Hello remmy i have used it & think it's 1 of the best stalking rifle's iv used but as localyokel said fox on ticket could be a problem.It is a big cal for roe but iv had clean beast's & it put's them down.As people say a heart shot will run but iv had more roe run with 243 than any other cal unless head or neck shot.I got on well with speer 100g spbt or 85g in 243 or 87g v-max & that worked for me & put them down but the v-max could be hard on them & it's realy a varmint bullet & a topic on another form said that they arent realy legal for deer.

• 1 month later...

It can be good you have only to use the right bullet:if you shot roe use a hard jacketed bullet,if you are shooting bigger quarry use a softer bullett( e.g. nosler ballistic tip,the one with a plastic point)

That said my favourite for roes is the 270 win

Edited by valerio

mate i'm thinking it's a bit hard for roe, the 243 with right placement is excellent and i've never had a problem with it. IF the deer don't see you move they don't run.... just stick within 200 yards or so and it's great, if looking for something dual puspose then how about the 6.5x55? excellent cal.

• 2 weeks later...