Aviary Floor And Question's

iv had flights way canaries in an they were excellent to sit an watch in the summer evenings an when ever i had some spare time, same as pigeons they been in my family longer than me, i had them for a few years, but nowt compares to a pet budgie i think :icon_redface: im trying to talk the wife in to lettng me get 1 :D

Edited by reddawn

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a few pic's from today...i have opened the two flight's up next to each other so they have more room to fly about.. .     Two mule Goldies and a irish fancy hen on the teazel     Lu

Here's a pic or two showing a exstention i added to my aviary and the roof bit i left open and this i'm splitting in two and then i'll be changing the layout of the rest of it by spring next year and

This is where i am upto for now..doing it on my own does not help and these dark night's are a ball ache when you want to crack on..not too worry though i will get there in the end..  

Moll had a budgie in the house Reddawn and he was a little cracker..Tomy he was called and he done some funny thing's.. too much to mention..he used to sit on the dog's and take food from your mouth while sat on your shoulder..he even talked but it sounded like a bad tuned radio... :D ..but a teflon kettle in a dishwasher killed the poor little bugger.. :cray:

Tell your misses you would love a male budgie for a xmas pressant.. :thumbs:

Plenty of room yet Paul.. :yes: ..plus i have a indoor build in mind for any youngster's or spare bird's that need to be kept away from any breeding pair's.. :victory:

Sounds like you got the bug for this bird lark mate....................same as me lately just i aint really got a scooby about birds :D............this thread has been invaluable to me as ive got a mate building me an aviary in the new year........i cant be doing with learning by reading id rather learn by watching but they dont tell you much i dont even know what birds ive got :icon_redface: ...they,re Canaries but what type is anyones guess........fascinating little things though i must be getting old !!

get your daughter to stick some photos up gnash someone will soon identify them for you ,,, :thumbs:
  • Like 1

Here is my new addition's 2 x irish fancy hen's and a cock goldie that have been gifted to me from a very good fellow to make up for my loss.. :victory:

Aiverynewbirds004_zps04f8f385.jpg

Grand pic of some grand birds from a grand fella Millet for sure :yes: and there'll produce some fine mules for sure,that one on the right is known as a buff with the white tipping to the feather,just for the slightly geeky among us :icon_redface: .

Gnasher i'd say more than half of what most bird keepers know was learnt by trial and error and by just watching the birds rather than reading up on it,bit the same as any animal you can read all you want about hunting or say boxing but by feck it's different when it's you out there in the field or ring eh? :laugh: but it isn't to hard to tell them once you've been shown a few times and i'd say there's more types of terriers than canaries and we all know them at a glance.

• Like 2

Moll had a budgie in the house Reddawn and he was a little cracker..Tomy he was called and he done some funny thing's.. too much to mention..he used to sit on the dog's and take food from your mouth while sat on your shoulder..he even talked but it sounded like a bad tuned radio... :D ..but a teflon kettle in a dishwasher killed the poor little bugger.. :cray:

Tell your misses you would love a male budgie for a xmas pressant.. :thumbs:

we has a few mate but that was before we had the kids an noo my house is pandemoniom, if thats how ye spell it lol, all ours was same mate, would take food off us or teh dogs 1 we had was in 7 diffrent dogs mouths before it died of old age, ill get 1, dont know when, but i will :D

• Like 1

teflon kettle in a dishwasher ?? How was that then mate?

TUFFTY

Moll had a cast iron kettle that was painted black..i'm not 100% sure if it was teflon that killed them but when it was put in the dish washer all 3 budgie's in the cage started rolling around the cage floor..the window was opened and the bird's where all took outside..one recovered but the best one and another died pretty quick..i know that teflon on frying pan's is poisonous to budgie's so that is all we could put it down too as nothing else had changed or been done in the room..

Here is a picture of the door's i have rigged up so the flight's can be opened and shut into seperate flight's when need be.. :thumbs: ..i was going to take the cross section out to save me bending down to pass through but it would of weakened the feed station. :hmm:

aviarypictures006_zpse4790e6c.jpg

• Like 2

Yes Malt it's one of two hen's i have.. :thumbs:

Are you going to colour feed them mate? I've only ever seen factors kept together and colour fed through the drinking water, never seen them in a mixed flight. :thumbs:

shame you lost one so soon -- the fella i know that racers pigeons got cut off branches on his flight to stop bop and cats getting on top dont know if that will do your job ...i put 6 inch nails in when i had mine and crossed orange bale string similar to the fishing line set up in earlier post ...

Edited by the_stig