Aviary Floor And Question's

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a few pic's from today...i have opened the two flight's up next to each other so they have more room to fly about.. .     Two mule Goldies and a irish fancy hen on the teazel     Lu

Here's a pic or two showing a exstention i added to my aviary and the roof bit i left open and this i'm splitting in two and then i'll be changing the layout of the rest of it by spring next year and

This is where i am upto for now..doing it on my own does not help and these dark night's are a ball ache when you want to crack on..not too worry though i will get there in the end..  

After doing a little research and checking some other folk's flight's out has made me change my mind again.. :hmm: ..i will be doing away with the shed on the end idea which will give me more room for the flight's..which will be around 16/17ft long x 7ft wide and 7ft high..would it be ok to divide them into 3 and have two pair's of appropriate native's in each flight that will get along happy together..i also have indoor space in a double garage if need be for youngster's where i can build a 10ft x 4ft x 8ft high flight..or would i be better building a stack of double breeder type cage's..

Cheer's again.. :thumbs:

With say a 6x7x7 flight your'll have no problems housing 2 pairs of something and even a extra hen for one of the cocks,then there'll have a wall each for nesting sort of thing and that's plenty of space and it'll give the youngsters some room to fledge in as well,as for the flights or breeding cages that's a personal thing as like my birds are aviary bred and so there more jumpy than a cage bred bird is due to them living a slightly more natural life.Where as cage bred birds are usaly calmer and so folks like them for that more personal up close bit with them and cage settled birds show better than something bouncing off the wire :laugh: ,but cages are handy things to have so i'd tell you to have a couple for those times you will :yes: need one anyway :thumbs: ,but with a flight like you say you could have you'd be able to put the youngsters in there once there feeding themselves and get in there with them and that'll help settle them as well.

• Like 1

Well i have finaly made a start :D ..some may question the timber floor but i hazard a guess that i will get around 10yr's out of it as it has been treated twice and the ground is pretty dry through the conifer's..the back and one side will be boarded to keep prying eye's out..the rest will be meshed and 2/3 of the roof will be covered with clear plastic..i have also buried mesh around the perimeter floor as advised.. :thumbs:

The only thing that bother's me is it is north facing as that is the only place i could put it..would the winter northerly wind be a problem.. :hmm: .

flight002.jpg

flight005.jpg

flight007.jpg

• Like 4

That's going to grand when that's finished :victory: and for the wind i use the green plastic woven stuff the local gardeners use for a wind block,it's the stuff they use on scaffolding and i have it pined along the top of some of my flights and when it's windy i roll it down and hook it onto some small nails.It's dark here now but i'll get up a pic tomorrow to show you :thumbs: ,how you doing the entry doors and safety porch?. .

,how you doing the entry doors and safety porch?. .

With me being a semi retired.. :whistling: .. scaffolder i know exactly what you mean mate and i might be able to get my hand's on some for free just like i do with the board's.. :D ..

As for the entry door's i will have a double door system on the outside of the left flight..then for the two neighbouring flight's i will put smaller 3.5ft door's leading ito each one on the front side edge..i won't be planting much on the front side so i will have a clear run and hopefully not disturb anything if i need to go into the end flight..on the front i will be putting food and water hatches in so i don't need to go in there if i don't need too.. :thumbs:

• Like 1