pheasant holding blocks

ive just taken on a small diy shoot, and im after getting some feed blocks as a supplement, does anyone make their own, have any recipes, i mean to buy some if i need to, but i remember an old keeper saying he made his own,however i never did get the recipe as he died, anyone help me out please, ?

• 1 month later...

To be honest I don't think they make that much of a difference but if you can afford it then anything that keeps them pecking and scratching away is always a bonus. Canny beat a nice straw ride.

Sat with me old boss head keeper last nite we got talikung about lotions and potions for holding pheasants he is in his late 60's. And his farher was a keeper. He said. He is conviced they attracted foxes. To the area he used to keep a virmin diary. As did i he reconcon the increase in snared fox around the area when the. Lotions and potions were used was not just by accident. !!!

Edited by gonetoearth

Sat with me old boss head keeper last nite we got talikung about lotions and potions for holding pheasants he is in his late 60's. And his farher was a keeper. He said. He is conviced they attracted foxes. To the area he used to keep a virmin diary. As did i he reconcon the increase in snared fox around the area when the. Lotions and potions were used was not just by accident. !!!

But i wonder did his bag records note an increase in head of game shot to? Or at least, did the bags decrease with this aparent increase in predators?

I can imagine that more foxes would be killed with an increased number of game about in concentrated areas. I can also imagine that local foxes would have the savey to make the connection between that very distinct fragrence and high populations of game birds.

Not something I have ever heard before but certainly food for thought..... Straw and hand feeding for us, it's made a hell of a difference! We can only use wheat in the feeders because if you put anything special in the birds pull the full lot out looking for the treats! :laugh:

But i wonder did his bag records note an increase in head of game shot to? Or at least, did the bags decrease with this aparent increase in predators?

I can imagine that more foxes would be killed with an increased number of game about in concentrated areas. I can also imagine that local foxes would have the savey to make the connection between that very distinct fragrence and high populations of game birds.

Not something I have ever heard before but certainly food for thought..... Straw and hand feeding for us, it's made a hell of a difference! We can only use wheat in the feeders because if you put anything special in the birds pull the full lot out looking for the treats! :laugh:

we allways hand fed on straw rides big shoot bud we never got to talkin about inrease or decrease in birds just the fox count, remember in his farthers day the rearing field was lived on and all feed boiled up daily he said spices and herbs were added , virmin control was high on the list snaring and traping , its a great subject to talk to old fellas about ive a collection of the gamekeeper mag going way back holding potions were touted round like a medical product
  • Like 1

To be honest I don't think they make that much of a difference but if you can afford it then anything that keeps them pecking and scratching away is always a bonus. Canny beat a nice straw ride.

Alright Lab, just out of interest how long do you make your straw rides i was thinking of just getting a couple of bales and rolling them out.

Alright Lab, just out of interest how long do you make your straw rides i was thinking of just getting a couple of bales and rolling them out.

Well GTE is pretty much covered it mate....i'll just add dont make the straw too deep, just enough too let them have a scratch and find the wheat....not wanting them digging wi spades....lol.Oh and a nice sunny spot will help too. :thumbs::D

Its worth bearing in mind that straw will completly f**k a nice grass ride if you don't clear it up the end the season you also run the risk of aspergillosis if you leave it down till the following year

• Like 1

Sound lads. Thanks for the replys I might try one this year. I Have got a nice sunny spot in mind so got to be worth a try.

. A shellter. Wont go a miss. Either. And hang a few empty feed bag off over hanging braches. Things with big eyes like to swoooooops. Lol