Scopes £ vs Quality

Hi guys so far ive always bought budget scopes air rifles have always had no name £30 scopes from the local gun shop, my .22lr I spent a little more on and had a Hawke Sport HD £90. Now christmas is coming, Im hoping to purchase my .243 I know everyone says spend as much as you can afford on a scope and I can imagine that a £2000 Zeiss should be £1910 better quality than my Hawke but ... my question to you all is in everyday use (lamping foxes and deer stalking in my case) where is the reasonable middle ground here? What makes would you recomend? I only ask because Im struggling to believe that I could hit a target £1910 better just because my scope says Zeiss on it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can get a Zeiss conquest for around 550 to 600 pound. And there superb. Scopes like night force and khales are alot more. You will be surprized what the gunshop make on scopes these days. 1800 fo

basically in most products today you are paying for the name, such as clothing and things. however with scopes your not. your cheaper scopes are good for air rifles. but when you get upto the bigger c

Meopta Yours for around £400 / £500   Every bit as good as German glass.

Hi guys so far ive always bought budget scopes air rifles have always had no name £30 scopes from the local gun shop, my .22lr I spent a little more on and had a Hawke Sport HD £90. Now christmas is coming, Im hoping to purchase my .243 I know everyone says spend as much as you can afford on a scope and I can imagine that a £2000 Zeiss should be £1910 better quality than my Hawke but ... my question to you all is in everyday use (lamping foxes and deer stalking in my case) where is the reasonable middle ground here? What makes would you recomend? I only ask because Im struggling to believe that I could hit a target £1910 better just because my scope says Zeiss on it.

basically in most products today you are paying for the name, such as clothing and things. however with scopes your not. your cheaper scopes are good for air rifles. but when you get upto the bigger calibers such as a .243 there are several requirements. you must have a scope that will resist the recoil and hold zero. i presume you are wanting a 243 for foxes and deer? so you will need a scope with a decent magnification to take the longer shot. if shooting foxes at night, you want a bigger objective to let in more light and you need a crisp clear image. and a reticle you can see. you will get better accuracy and consistency buy purchasing the best scope you can afford. i have a schmidt & bender 8x56 german. and it didnt break the bank. just made my pocket a little lighter lol, but the scope itself is unbelievable. especially at night. i would not change it for any other. but i do think that £2000 is a little too pricey. i personally wouldnt spend more than £1000. but then again it depends how much your planning on using the rifle.
  • Like 1

Zeiss do a standard scope I cant remember the model but its was around £600 from sportsman they are spot on,or a 8x56 shcmit and bender you cant really go wrong with either,On my 243 wich I used for year's for deer stalking and fox shooting, I had a good redfield iluminator scope 3x9x40 budget scope, new ones are 2-3 hundred quid but it never let me down, a mate of mine still has it on a 270, leupold scopes very good scopes but I dont seem to get on with them,but people who use them love them,there are scopes out there that will give good service without the £2,000 price tag that's what I hate about it In england, everywhere you look people are bumping prices up,you never see stalking rifle do a real mid range scope test,because there sponsor's only want to sell top of the range [profit margins] its always a real value for money at £1800 in the magazines, or they list the equipment used by the stalker,and where they bought it I know the need for advertising,but not everyone has that sort of money,and there has to be a larger mid range market,out there I have got a Hawke scope on my 223 and its really good,shop around,you will find some good stuff,

Edited by 3175darren

I use swarovski 3-12x50pv on all my work rifles and they take it in their stride being knocked about on the quad and in the landy all day every day for the last 10 years is a hell of a test, though I often check zero its very rare they need adjustment and they cost a lot less than 2k

Hi guys so far ive always bought budget scopes air rifles have always had no name £30 scopes from the local gun shop, my .22lr I spent a little more on and had a Hawke Sport HD £90. Now christmas is coming, Im hoping to purchase my .243 I know everyone says spend as much as you can afford on a scope and I can imagine that a £2000 Zeiss should be £1910 better quality than my Hawke but ... my question to you all is in everyday use (lamping foxes and deer stalking in my case) where is the reasonable middle ground here? What makes would you recomend? I only ask because Im struggling to believe that I could hit a target £1910 better just because my scope says Zeiss on it. You are correct, these days we take every advantage we sensibly can when hunting, by way of rifles, calibre, ammo, glass, bipods, etc etc........ but just hold on a minute and think back....30-40 years ago the most expensive scope you could buy had worse glass than todays cheap scopes. 60-80 years ago scopes were as rare as rocking horse doings, did we still shoot deer and did they still fall down, of course they did. You don't need to spend a fortune on a scope to shoot straight today. Yes, its great to put quality scopes on your rifle, and by all means do so if you feel inclined, but don't get all excited thinking your world is about to change, in the majority of cases the rifle, ammo, and cheap scope can out shoot the bloke behind the trigger already, spending a fortune on a scope is rarely going to change that, and the very many deer/fox/etc etc I have stopped never complained about the inexpensive scope I was using.

basically in most products today you are paying for the name, such as clothing and things. however with scopes your not. your cheaper scopes are good for air rifles. but when you get upto the bigger calibers such as a .243 there are several requirements. you must have a scope that will resist the recoil and hold zero. :hmm:Plenty of springers crack just as much as a .243, it is hardly violent! i presume you are wanting a 243 for foxes and deer? so you will need a scope with a decent magnification to take the longer shot. :hmm:Are you suggesting cheaper scopes don't have magnification if shooting foxes at night, you want a bigger objective to let in more light and you need a crisp clear image. :hmm:So, it just has to be big? Plenty of cheap scopes have BIG objective lenses and tubes! and a reticle you can see. :hmm:So, the reticle is invisible on cheaper scopes? you will get better accuracy and consistency buy purchasing the best scope you can afford. :hmm:You will tend to get better engineering, dialling in, finish and usually the glass has the edge, that doesn't mean you get better accuracy or consistency, plenty of cheap scope hold zero fine i have a schmidt & bender 8x56 german. and it didnt break the bank. just made my pocket a little lighter lol, but the scope itself is unbelievable. especially at night. i would not change it for any other. but i do think that £2000 is a little too pricey. i personally wouldnt spend more than £1000. but then again it depends how much your planning on using the rifle.

Just another view, after all thats what forums are about! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

You can get a Zeiss conquest for around 550 to 600 pound. And there superb. Scopes like night force and khales are alot more.

You will be surprized what the gunshop make on scopes these days. 1800 for a nightforce at sportsman gun centre!

My friend can get them in the trade at least a 400 pound saving on that!

• Like 2

I originally had a burris fullfield 2 on my .308, used it on the range and stalking, it performed brilliantly and was great in low light too, cost less than £200 off ebay, the rifle now has a Swaro 8x50 that cost £450 second hand, the low light performance is unreal, it is better but the Burris did the job too.

Had a meopro and took it back wthout even mounting it, looked through it side by side and the Burris was better. No way i would spend £500 on a Meopta when the same money could buy a second hand Swaro or S&B, they are not even close.

Had a meopro and took it back wthout even mounting it, looked through it side by side and the Burris was better. No way i would spend £500 on a Meopta when the same money could buy a second hand Swaro or S&B, they are not even close.

Rubbish

Yours must have been faulty mate, beleive me, they are better than Burris,

And as for second hand

£500 will buy a good zoom 50mm Meopta, ,, find me a zoom 50mm Swaro for that cash bud, preferably one that isn`t 25 yrs old and been on some hill stalkers rifle dragged through the countryside.

A Meopta Artemis 7x50 can be had for £200

• Like 1

There is such alot of snobbery on most forums when it comes to optics.

But to be fair, theres alot less on this forum than some others...

I've got a £200 quid Hawke scope on my .204 cf and it performs great! Accurate (.6" at 100 yards with factory rounds all day long) Had a few knocks but not lost it's zero. And is good enough for my needs at night. Would i prefer a £2k scope on it, probably? Could i afford to go out and buy one for each of my rifles? without being bigheaded, yes i could. Would i? No chance!

I have no doubt the glass and quality are alot better. But i wouldn't spend and extra £1800 per rifle, just to give me 45 minutes longer shooting when it's getting dark or 45 minutes extra when it's getting light in the morning.

Horses for courses. Just try not to be swayed by the people who say they have a wardrobe full of £200 scopes as they broke or were crap!

Just another opinion..... :yes:

• Like 1