BEST CALIBRE

Try the 270 win,you can't go wrong.It's fast,flat and has much more stopping power than a 243 without being destructive.

Her in Italy you can't shoot anithing smaller than 7mm(270) to boar and red/fallow deer.favourite calibres are 270 win,308 win and 7mm rem mag for deers, and 30-06 and 308 for hunting boars with dogs

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Brownbear

The 6.5 is very versatile, it will bring down a red but won't evaporate a roe. My .308 is still in the cupboard but it's business now is boar for the most part. You can shoot Scottish roe with a .22 centrefire, and a very handy calibre it is for them, but not English roe as apparently it's not powerful enough. I suppose the thinking is that most Scottish roe deer, having breakfasted on 6 fried mars bars, a half of whisky and 20 fags, will expire from fright at the report of the rifle.

• 4 weeks later...

Used 243 and 270 on deer and chamois in New Zealand but went for 6.5x55 when getting my deer rifle here. Very pleased with it so far, flat-shooting, accurate. lower recoil than a 270 and haven't had excessive meat damage with it. Plan to try it on foxes and a bit of target shooting during the close season next year. I believe it's a popular round with the long-range target boys.

Spud

• 3 weeks later...
WHATS THE BEST CALIBRE FOR ALL ROUND DEER STALKING.ANY ONE USE A 7X57.

Yup

I do indeed.

Went through loads of info' before deciding and lots of people tried to put me off.

I can't see it's to big for british deer since it's smaller than a .308 and many swear by this calibre.

It is also a much sweeter shooting round than the .270 which tends to kick hard us lesser mortals.

What finally swung it for me was hearing that several local stalkers had moved to the 7 x 57 as they found less meat damage than the faster .243.

I must say I can only agree with this. They are even using it on muntys with good results.

Certainly if your ground holds mixed species so you are shooting Roe one minute and Fallow the next then it is a good all rounder. Standard ammo is 140grain from Federal and Remmington. I believe that one of the other makers does a 145grain so this would be ample for Reds and dare I say Boar if you have them. (Defra min' recommended cal .270)

Finally, the continentals might call it a 7 x 57 but to us British it is, and always will be the .275 Rigby!!

Bye for now :bye:

I THINK THERE IS'T A UNIVERSAL BEST CHOICE AS GAME AND CONDITIONS VARY SO MUCH. I HAVE TO SAY IT'S A LITTLE ENLIGHTENING TO SEE THE CHOICES THE 6.5X55 AND .243 ARE USED HERE BUT DON'T HAVE A VERY STRONG FOLLOWING EXCEPT PERHAPS IN THE EAST OR FOR YOUNGER HUNTERS.MOST PEOPLE CONSIDER A .25 CAL THE BEGINING AND MOST DON'T GO BELOW .270 WITH THE .30 CALS MUCH MORE POPULAR AND THE 7MM MAGNUMS BEING A CLOSE COMPETITER. BUT IT IS ALSO A REGIONAL CHOICE HERE TOO. THE COUES DEER IS THE SMALLEST SPECIES AT 65-100LBS, IT'S ALSO ONE OF THE LEAST COMMON. I'M SURE THIS WILL SOUND STRANGE TO YOU BUT MY CHOICES ARE THE 25-06 REM FOR ANTELOPE OR SMALL DEER AND THEN THE .270 WIN AND THE FINAL CHOICE THE .300 WIN MAG AND IF I WAS TO HUNT A NEW DEER/AREA I WOULD ALLWAYS CHOOSE THE .300. AS FAR AS MEAT DAMAGE SELECT THE RIGHT TYPE OF BULLET IT'S FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN CALIBER IF COMMON SENSE IS USED IN CALIBER CHOICE. A CONTROLLED EXPANSION BULLET IN A .300 WIN MAG GENERALY DOES LESS DAMAGE THEN A FAST EXPANDING BULLET IN SMALLER SLOWER CALIBERS. THE MOST BRUISING I'VE EVER SEEN WAS FROM A POORLY PLACED SPINE SHOT ON A MULE DEER BUCK AND IF THE SAME SHOT WAS MADE WITH A PREMIUM BULLET THE PENITRATION WOULD HAVE DONE THE KILLING AND NOT THE SHOCK I'M SURE THIS DOESN'T RELATE TO YOUR GAME/CONDITIONS BUT IT'S SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. :D

The 6.5 is not a very popular cartridge in Aus anymore, not sure why, just wondering if someone can shed some light on the 6.5 having more downrange power than a .270. I don't have any experience with the 6.5 but all my reloading data shows a .270 projectile of same weight leaving the barrel a hell of a lot faster, which in turn would allow it to hold onto its hitting power at a longer range, if I am missing something please point it out.

I have been shooting a .270 for years but would quite happily try another cartridge that was a bit easier on the ears. Spud you seem to be getting into the deer over your way any info on 6.5 much appreciated.

A lot of people here are obssessed with big magnums, I am much happier to shoot a mild calibre comfortably and know I can place my shot perfectly, I think this is a lot more important than blowing can sized holes in game.

A mate used to use a .44 magnum on pigs, it would flatten the big fellas on the spot, but on the little blokes the projectile would go straight through and do buggar all internal damage and they would keep going.

cheers

Edited by FJager