Getting permission to shoot air rifle

Hi ,all

I am new to shooting and this forum . What is the best way to approach land owners / farmers to get permission to control rats ... Rabbits with my air rifle it is not fac . Is the best way to apply by letter ? Rather than just knock and ask ? Looking for any were in northwest if anyone can help ..... It will be appreciated thanks Neil

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now ,,,now boys   i have never charged any one to shoot nor would i   every one of the lads me and viz have taken out have never had to pay us and we have taken a good few out to our perms   and

Yea just keep at it mate , just put across what you are after eg rabbits, game, crows etc and how you can help them keep numbers down while enjoying your sport also join basc and that inc insurance as

Tried the farmers route tonight .... It never went the way I planned ... Finished work earlier and went driving to nearby farms ... Stopped and opened gate started walkin towards door with my 1 led li

Ask Milegajo on here he's good at getting permissions, or is that losing them.

Anyway to be more constructive try a mixture of them both. I have only two, one I went face to face and got a result and the other was because a family member knew the farmer!

I am currently in the process of doing some letters although the limited time I get to go shooting the two perms might be enough, although its always nice staking out new land.

have a look on web at land for sale in your area have a look on street view to find the exact location once it sells go down there iv just found a paddock and stable via this route took me a few goes to find someone threre but I thought about leaving a letter there asking with contact details. the woman just said anytime I wanted to go down and hadnt even given pest control a thought.

Probably just luck but you never no

Hi ,all

I am new to shooting and this forum . What is the best way to approach land owners / farmers to get permission to control rats ... Rabbits with my air rifle it is not fac . Is the best way to apply by letter ? Rather than just knock and ask ? Looking for any were in northwest if anyone can help ..... It will be appreciated thanks Neil

Try some stables - they seem to be most favourable to bunny bashers.

Go smart in person and introduce yourself, be polite and ask nicely. Strike up a conversation and go chilled and pleasant. You will get 'no's', but once you've got one and make an impact on bunny numbers, others will come too, by word of mouth.

Good luck!

Knock on a few doors and Be polite and straight to the point, for example my brother (mattybugeye off this forum) went out last week for a couple of hours locally and returned home with 550 acres - and then kindly invited me over to be sighned up for permission with him! as a thank you as he has been shootin with me. What a extra bonus and what a legend thanks bro. Just goes to show what you can do with a bit of luck and some door knocking. hope u get sorted soon.

Yea just keep at it mate , just put across what you are after eg rabbits, game, crows etc and how you can help them keep numbers down while enjoying your sport also join basc and that inc insurance as shows you are responsible , and don't let no's put you off as one bound to say yes ! Atb bud and let us know how you get on !

Edited by mattybugeye
  • Like 1

I got mine by phone, googled farmers, golf courses, paddocks, livery yards, nurseries (the plant sort not the rug rat type), I made a list of the numbers and worked through them. Took a while, got my first by asking if the person who had just refused me permission (they shot the rabbits and ate them themselves) knew of anyone, they gave me the contact details of someone who was not listed as a business. Phoned up, got a permission.

The second was a farmer, gave me permission on a couple of his fields (and since then all of his land), I went next to the farm next door after seeing their paddock over run with rabbits, got that, stuck my head over a fence and asked someone mowing his lawn if I could shoot in the woods on his land, got that permission too. Since then I have not bothered looking, I have more than enough land to be carrying on with!

Edited by secretagentmole

Yea just keep at it mate , just put across what you are after eg rabbits, game, crows etc and how you can help them keep numbers down while enjoying your sport also join basc and that inc insurance as shows you are responsible , and don't let no's put you off as one bound to say yes ! Atb bud and let us know how you get on !

i will join basc thanks for the advice mate:)

I got mine by phone, googled farmers, golf courses, paddocks, livery yards, nurseries (the plant sort not the rug rat type), I made a list of the numbers and worked through them. Took a while, got my first by asking if the person who had just refused me permission (they shot the rabbits and ate them themselves) knew of anyone, they gave me the contact details of someone who was not listed as a business. Phoned up, got a permission.

The second was a farmer, gave me permission on a couple of his fields (and since then all of his land), I went next to the farm next door after seeing their paddock over run with rabbits, got that, stuck my head over a fence and asked someone mowing his lawn if I could shoot in the woods on his land, got that permission too. Since then I have not bothered looking, I have more than enough land to be carrying on with!

I Wil try a few golf courses thanks ... Let you know how I get on .

I have had the best success by using friends of friends.............for examaple:

I know several people who ride horses so have asked them to speak to the landowner for permission

A mate of mine keeps a caravan at a local farm....again asked for an intro

I know someone who works on a local shoot raising the birds and is having problems with Squirrels

Think of anyone you know who plays golf as a club member and get them to introduce you

So far I have 2 confirmed permissions and one other looking possible which will be more than enough for me.

As above I think going to a location face to face is the best option. Have insurance and show them you are responsible and you should pick one up......non council owned allotments are also a good option as they attract the bunnies like mad (I have found councils can be a bit slow in making a decision and worry about risk / public perception!!)

Best of luck

Tried the farmers route tonight .... It never went the way I planned ... Finished work earlier and went driving to nearby farms ... Stopped and opened gate started walkin towards door with my 1 led light on key ring only to heard squeals and grunts as I shined my light seen 2 pigs runnin towards me :( ... I turned ran and fell covered in s@@@ an lossed a welly but with my momentum cleared the gate .. Must have been pig sty . Didn't manage to speak to farmer but arrived home covered in s@@@ ... On arrival told wife I have been chased by pigs !!!she said are the police goin to Knock !!!

• Like 1