Jessie female Harris hawk Diary

craigynewall

Haha every1 loves a skater it put up a good fight considering she grabbed it by the head it still dragged her a good 20 feet across the field. How iv missed that sound of the squeeling bunny haha. (Sickos) haha...

well done mate,love that sound,stirs the blood :D

Well done artic must be class working the bird with the dog iv only ever flew a bird over ferrets shes still abit funny with dogs its because i was training her last yr and this fking stupid bullmastif thing charged at her whilst she was on creance if she never kept in the air she would of been a gonna sehe kept flying and getting caught back up in full length line which was bringing her back down to the floor the dog kept going for her but she kept in the air goin from 1 length of line back to the orher i went absolutly mental with its stupid fkn owner i honestly would av killed that dog if it savaged me bird.

the spaniels only been partly trained, she can just about stay on command but she a genuine trier and hunts like a demon, any problems she has are down to me as I let her run and flush for lurcher's, but fair play she took to working in front of the bird and seems to have got the idea fairly quickly, still a little erratic and headstrong, but committed and improving.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out for a fly yesterday in the woods had her following on then she spotted something and dropped to which i heard the loud scream thinking it was a bunny i raced over to dispatch to which i found her sitting on a big fat rat. I traded her off kept her flying had a couple more flights 1 on a pheasant mid air which she chased right over the river but wasnt tooo much bother as she came right back over with a litle swing of the lure. Other flight was a rabbit which escaped into the set before she made it. I got her home weighed her and checked her over which i spotted a little slice under her foot then i realised she must of took a bite from the rat. Was only literally a tiny cut but i still bathed it in epsom salts and then sprayd her down with aticeptic spray and rapicure. Il upload a littl pic and video of the culprit below!!!!

Sounds a good session mate, these hawks certainly do love catching rats, mine gets more excited by the sight of one than a squirrel.

Thanks mate mines the same i dont really like her on the rats tho as you never know what sort of diseases they carryin. Do you let yours feed up on the rat or do you do a quick trade off?? Its actualy a hard trade off with a rat she never seems to wanna let go ha.

I worry more about poison than diseases so I trade off. Last week she killed two but tried to carry them into cover. This is probably due to feeling robbed so its something I need to look into. I don't really go looking for rats she has just caught a few this season.