Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

midnight knife making compatition (only 8 places )

Knife Making

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#31 midnight

midnight

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:29 am

lets hope its succesful enough to be repatable !!
might have to go with a small gutting knife in future as everyone seems to want them !!
i will do some bits on the ilistraightion blank i have , im going to change the profile of it and generaly piss about with it but will take piocs they might help you guys !
  • Sjt657 likes this

#32 Jamie93

Jamie93

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:42 pm

Does anyone know where I can get some antler to use for the handle?

Thanks

Jamie93

#33 the big chief

the big chief

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:02 pm

try ebay

#34 midnight

midnight

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:19 pm

yeah ebay is the one . you will need to split it in half and grind it flat so you can fit it either side of the tang .
jigged camel bone looks just like antler and its died on the out side with a pattern to look like stag , but they are flat scales so you can fit them easy !!

#35 Jamie93

Jamie93

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:10 pm

None on Ebay seem wide enough to cover the height of the handle. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

#36 midnight

midnight

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:41 pm

i have a set here and they fit perfect , i think i paid £12 for them , if there any good to you ?

#37 Sjt657

Sjt657

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:21 pm

Brass pins 5.5mm tried eBay no joy !! Again any ideas ?

#38 the big chief

the big chief

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:24 pm

Brass pins 5.5mm tried eBay no joy !! Again any ideas ?

buy brass rods and cut them down to fit i got all my stuff of ebay there is a massive range on there mate :thumbs:
  • Sjt657 and tilimangro like this

#39 jamm13dodger

jamm13dodger

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:33 pm

If you are having issues finding antler you could try buffalo horn. Seems to be quite a bit of it on ebay.

My blade arrived today so it'll be out with the files and sandpaper later. I have a few ideas for the handle but cant quite make my mind up ;)

#40 Jamie93

Jamie93

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:48 pm

What grade of paper you using
Jamie93

#41 midnight

midnight

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:55 am

just a tip from when i used to do all mine by hand , you want a single cut file , i used drapers garden files (thats what they call them) old fashioned hard ware stores sell them .
because its sigle cut there is only one set of grooves on it , you can remover the metal much faster and more accuratly . and once the angles look right you can plain the metal with them ,
ok so you have removed the metal and got a basic beval , like this .
Posted Image
now you can clamp it good and tight and plain the metal , to get it flat and clean . like this
Posted Image

when its like that clean and flat , id start with sand paper 120 grit , you looking for uniform scratch pattern , dont go in all directions, pic one and stick at it until every serface it the same , this is important , use a backing for the sand paper allways hard , i wrapp the file in it on every grit !!!
when it looks good every where at 120 , change to 240 this will really show any pitting deep screatechs etc , change your direction again , the exact oposite of the last coures is best, change paper regularly and only use it dry at this stage , good tip halfords sell all the sand paper grade you will ever want very affordably , id say now is the time to think what sort of finnish you want on this knife , if you want mirror go through the grits to 600 wet and dry and polish on a buffing mop (on a drill from halfords or what ever you got) if its very shiny at heat treating the scale has not much to stick to and will come off easy , once heat treated you will not get any scractches out unless your like me a freak and will stand there until its done ha ha .
when its where you want it send it back for heat treating .

just to inspire you guys a few knives i did 100% by hand with fire files and sand paper .
a few options of finish to . the big bugger has 120 grit(polished) on the sides and 1200grit on cutting edge .
Posted Image
Posted Image

and a couple just super shiny all by hand
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

there just there to inspire you along guys , now is the time to go for that mirror finish id say !!

#42 Jamie93

Jamie93

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:49 am

Thanks.

That was just what I was lkooking for.

Can't wait for the blank to arrive to get started!!

Jamie93

#43 midnight

midnight

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:41 am

just another thought guys your gonna strugle to find pins that correspond exactly to drill bits , ebay sellers are pretty good at measuring the diamiter of pins and drill for you before you buy .
i find steel drill bits to be most accurate (i think because they need to be) for example i bought some "advertised 2mm brass the other week , i asked te seller and they where actualy 2.06mm thick . then i thought ok drills are usualy over sized so went for a steel 2mm drill from B&Qand it came in at 1.96mm sounds nothing but the pins would not fit . so i had to cut them 1/3 to long put them in the drill and spin them with sandpaper wrapped round them , makeshift lathe idea , long story short they fitted with light hammer taps with out splitting the handle material . warning tho pilot with wood drill bits as steal will tear there way out when they break through , unless you back them with non ferrouse metal like alluminium .
its alot of fuss i know .
i will try to do a how to fit handles as soon as i can for anyone that is new to it .
tig and gas welding rods are used by alot of knife makers as pins they come in allsorts of materials to , they im told are usualy accurate with diamiters .
i use a loacl modeling shop for alot of stuff they have sheet brass ally tin , and a huge amount of tubing and pins for making prop shafts for boats etc . worth a try !!

is anyone going for the mirror finish file work etc ?
im enjoying this already nice to get a comunity thing going !
all the best , matt

just one place left fellas

1 seat left

knife comp .
#1Sheffield Catapults
#2Sjt657
#3paulus
#4waidmann
#5jamm13dodger
#6Youngun
#7Jamie93
#8......................

#44 Jamie93

Jamie93

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:45 am

I'll be going for a mirror finish.

Jamie93

#45 midnight

midnight

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:15 pm

good man .
there are two blanks sat her , one for waidman i dont think he has paid ?
and one unspoken for .
shall we close the books at 7 places this time ?

i have another set of 10 blanks that i can offer up for the next comp if nayone is intrested ?
little more complicated this time but the metal work is done so it will be handleing in inovative ways !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users