So far I have owned two 4 x 4's!! a Mitsubishi Pajero which was excellent off road and smooth on Road but a bit thirsty, the Next one is a Navara! I'm pleased as punch with this motor which will generally do an average of the earley 30's MPG and up to the mids on a run, there plenty of room in the back but I havn't really tested it off road yet.

If you could chose a 4 x 4 which is a good all rounder! a good off roader! returning a fairly decent MPG which suits all your needs!! which make and model would it be?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest mate for an allrounder for reasonable money 4x4 I'd probably go for a shogun or discovery, for an out and out shooting/hunting bus then the defender is the machine but hardly the best on road :D ... Out of the pickups navara/l200/hilux there all good reliable motors, I'd say more personal choice than anything...

For offroad / road ability and reliability I'd go for the shogun/landcruiser/discovery2/3....for something you just want to go anywhere get muddy, dirty, stinking, then hose it out and not bother about road noise and handling.......defender.... :tongue2:

Can’t argue with that advice I don’t think.

I have an L200 and a Rodeo I prefer the Rodeo as an all rounder but the L200 has its points.

Defenders are F**k**g use less on road and off road with out a winch but cheap and miserable that can be hosed down easily + they look the part!!

I asked for some advice last year from people on the forum including yourself jasper choosing between an L200 and a Navara. I've had the Navara for 7 months now and it fits the kids, dogs and gear in no problem. I've used it a fair bit off roading and its very good, I have a defender at work which is better off road but not as comfy. Although mine is serviced and looked after I only manage 26mpg, even taking it steady on long runs................

Although a mate has a BMW X5..very nice

Edited by Simoman

I'm very happy with my V8 Discovery 1, I was looking at the Discovery 2 but I'm a petrol head and they only made the V8 ones of the D2 after 2003 (I think) so there was an 8 Grand price difference!!

I thought I was probably best buying one of the last D1's when most of the problems were sorted than an early D2 that after reading around seem to have reliability issues and more leaks than the Belgrano!!!

It is heavy on fuel if you hammer it, not unusual for me to get 12 MPG :icon_eek: but then on a run if I'm gentle with it, I have also seen 20/22 MPG, am happy enough with it so far, parts seem cheap and there is plenty of free advice on the internet if you break it.

Just need to get it dirty now!!!!

Discovery.jpg

I used to have a Shogun (swb) then bought a Defender had i a couple of years then bought a L200 Warrior but sorry guys had to go back to the tryed and tested Defender.

Think at most my L200 would do about 25 mpg tops. Slightly more in the Landie but its a work horse not a show horse like the L200 seemed to be.

Subaru Justy :clapper:B) ................don't laugh :no: economical and cheap as chips B) , go really well and is used for EVERYTHING! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Al :drink:

my cousin had one, stripped it out and got it v muddy at every oportunity. worked for him :thumbs-up:

:) HI lads FOR allround everyday use plus the weekend work i have a discovery series 2 com.

easy on the juice and a cracking off road machine, for rough work and alot of off road you won't beat the defender.... after some off roading a friend of mine got stuck in his trooper, i drove the landy in past him and towed us both out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! needless to say he now has a landy defender... :D AS he's a bit of a dirt devil :laugh::laugh:

There's alot people of talked too and seen on the site who love the Landy Disco's! I must admit this or a Freelander td4 was very high on my shopping list before the Navara but I read on a site that there was a slight problem with drive gear and avoid one with high mileage! I'm now beggining to think this is shit as a lad I speak to at the boys school has one with over 130,000 on the clock and it still runs A1....

Cheers

Jasper

2 days ago I made an option to a Lada Niva 17i with a gastank inside,5 years old 42500km Dinitrolled twice 3500 euro and mint condition ( and very economic):thumbs-up: Good enough for the next 5 seasons. ;)