• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

gem i had a vitara 1.6 16v and towed landrovers out of boggy holes on 4x4 track days.great fun by the way .but if you thinkin horse boxs or owt longish distance id go for the 20 diesel.

I went for trooper as had pajero before head gasket went then gear box started playing up never has a days bother with my old trooper fires up runs like a train and will go anywhere.

I would avoid the sportage, just sold one which i only had for a few weeks, looked great with A/Ts on but it was seriously heavy on fuel, spent about £400 in three weeks doing a 40mile a day comute,and then it had loads of annoying squeeks and rattles and other issues, just not worth the hassle, parts are very expensive aswell!

Traded it for a daihatsu sportrak and apart from some minor bits and bobs it great, wish i had of got one earlyer!

cant go wrong with a vitara tho, we have a V reg Grand vitara with the mazda TD engine and it is amazing on fuel, must get about 45mpg on a run and it only cost us £1500 never got stuck in it and has low range etc!

• 3 weeks later...

dont touch the Kia it may be 4 wheel drive but it has electric solenoid for the Diff and it lets go when a wheel starts to spin it is a road bias 4x4 you wont go wrong with any Jap 4x4 dont touch Land Rover it will break and let you down on a regular basis.

paul

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread as I'm currently thinking about buying a 'shooting' wagon. Got around a 1000-1500 to spend and currently thinking Shogun or Trooper. Cant believe the 500 motor with tax and test has disappeared :cray: bloody government and the scrap-age scheme I suppose!!

Any opinions on the Shogun, what to look for, what to avoid?

Im on my fourth 4x4 having previously owned a vitara which was a good vehicle although limited on space and pretty thirsty being a petrol 1.6 a fourtrack which was awesome offroad fitted with at2's but suffered from the 'tin worm' and didnt make it through its last mot and a td5 Disco which i loved. I now have an old 5 door td4 Freelander which i use purely for shooting. Its fitted with insa dakar tires and is ideal for my needs. I do less than 4k a year and all my permissions are within 10 miles of my home so its also economical enough for me to run all year round.

picsfromphone039.jpg

014.jpg

Edited by optelic2

I had a vitara estate 1.6 2 years ago and it was absolutly brilliant! Whent anywhere and pissed passed land rovers in the snow going throught the lanes up hills because the light weight also that was with the standard tyres on aswell, quite good on fuel. I'm looking at getting another 4x4 myself and my misses has took a shine to jimneys but I like discoverys....decisions!!

Whats the vitara like for towing?

gem i had a vitara 1.6 16v and towed landrovers out of boggy holes on 4x4 track days.great fun by the way .but if you thinkin horse boxs or owt longish distance id go for the 20 diesel.
  • Like 1

I am afraid there is really no such thing as a cheap 4x4,I would steer clear of landrovers,overpriced,and go wrong constantly,I should know I used to be a landy mechanic,fourtrack are an excellent vehicle,and the 2.8td is good on fuel, my last one did 35 on a run easy,they are getting a little long in the tooth now,the chassis are excellent, they never rust,it is the bodywork that lets em down,ie sills.back body ect,but if you can find one that is good, spray it with clean engine oil underneath and it will last,vitaras are good again look for rust,I have a Jimny at the moment, and it is brilliant,38mpg on a run,will go anywhere,but the downside is the size, unless you remove or fold down the rear seats there is bugger all room for your kit,Pajeiro are a good buy,but they are a little heavier on juice,as most are auto,but a very good vehicle,my advice stick to Jap,and avoid Kia,and Landrovers like the plauge,unless you like getting the spanners out(landrover) cheers.