Air rifles poo without a range finder

i have had a few air rifle over the last couple of years and i have not been happy with them so i kept changing but was never happy and always lifted the rifle instead.

BUT THEN i bought a laser range finder and a mildot scope an well the accuracy i gained is amazing and i am now a air rifle lover.

I will now take shots out to 70yards on calm days with no problem (fac rated hw100 .22 26ftlb)

well thats not true you don't have to have a range finder to enjoy hunting.I hardly ever take my rangefinder out as i know all my ranges on my permission.Don't get me wrong i do love the rangefinder but hunting is just the same fun if you have one or not

sounds like you should have spent a bit more time learning how to use your eyes, spent time getting to know your gun and what pellets it likes rather than chopping and changing guns, time spent punching paper is never wasted, saves cash looking for the holy grail of rifles

• Like 3

I have never used a laser range finder when im hunting. My father taught me to use my eyes learn my range. I spent time learning with string guessing the range. I use to set up a 50 meter target and shoot in between the distance out to 50. I zeroed the s410 for 30 yards and have never looked back. To me a laser ranger finder is useless in my eyes for air rifles. Dont get me wrong there a great tool for fullbore rifles but to me there is no need for it when using a air rifle. Ive happily killed to roughly just short of 60 yards with out laser range finder.

But each to their own.

Regards

Rob

• Like 2

I don't own a rangefinder as my money is always needed on real life stuff so since being a kid I've judged the range. A couple of months ago I took a standing freehand shot at a maggy I knew to be 80 yards away through site alone. Squeezed the trigger and bowled the maggy clean over with a well placed heart lung shot! That's with a legal limit tuned rifle and a springer at that. It was witnessed by a member on here.

Know your ranges and the rest is history.

ATB Mawders

• Like 3

I agree with all the lads comments on here and yes knowing your combo, aim points and being able to shoot is a must.

A laser range finder will put more game in your bag though.

Knowing an exact range to a target especially in .22 is a big advantage to guessing. I know when my laser says a target is 50 metres and the conditions are good that target is 90% of the time getting stuck accurately.

Guessing 55 or 45 metres when its actually 50 metre in .22 calibre would mean a 90% miss or wounding in the worst case.

Si.

Edited by zini
  • Like 3

Never owned or used a laser rangefinder for an air rifle. Like mawders it's been a case of estimation by eye and senses since being a child with my first air rifle. I now have measured marks on my scopes focus rings that give absolute, exact ranges in perfect focus. I used a steel 5-metre tape, mark out the target distances and mark them on my scope when they are perfectly focused on. Humbrol Enamel and masking tape makes a perfect marker and viola! One perfectly accurate rangefinding scope! All that remains is to learn by heart, where my pellet is going to fall at any given range I need to shoot at/to.

It's not true to say an air rifle is poo without a laser rangefinder. It's down to you and your kit and how well you're skilled in its use.

Pianoman

• Like 5

hi

i use a range finder only when i am unsure of the distance ? 80yds? 90yds?

so is dose come in handy :tongue2:

but still like to make sure i dont loose my field craft and judgement,i mainly use it for scope calibration,so i know my TX is sweet for H.F.T :thumbs:

but in the field as i said only when i am unsure :thumbs: mainly stays in my pocket,as like every one else i use my :icon_eek:

• Like 1