No matter how mad you get, a keeper should only ever show that to the guns over bad safety issues,, everything other than that "keep your mouth shut" springs to mind..

On a day I had we really struggled in the morning & that was with a really decent team of guns, first drive after lunch we took a huge face of larch out over the river, it was full & went steady away, saving my bacon sprung to mind, half way through I saw One gun stop shooting, asked what the picker ups thought had been shot, 35 or so they said, by this time another couple had stopped, I was fizzing mad & if I wasn't still 300yds across the river I'd have spat the dummy at them good & proper, as it turns out they had triple what I was told. But that's just what the pressures of proving your full years work over shoot days does to most keepers, you've just got to smile & get on with it.

81 on 100 bird day in October, ain't bad in my eyes, a lot still with short tails, gliding & not climbing when flushed etc.

:yes: .....as i've said pressure. Them that haven't done it wont see it!!... :thumbs:
  • Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No matter how mad you get, a keeper should only ever show that to the guns over bad safety issues,, everything other than that "keep your mouth shut" springs to mind.. On a day I had we really strugg

I'm sorry but thats bollocks we start the 5th of oct and the birds have full tails and best even some of the top shots in the uk (first drive of the season went 350 shots for 19 birds)all that needs t

The truth is the season needs to go back a month most reared phezzies are not fit to fly in october to be a sporting MHO   ATB Cookie

I think the keeper needs to give his head a good shake. It's a bit of a shitter when you are seeing good birds pass the line without even a single shot but there's nothing worse than seeing low birds pillowcased. There are a few different types of gun ranging from "only the very finest of birds" to "if it's got a pulse, shoot it". So what one man considers sporting another may not. But ffs if the guns are happy then surely it's not a bad day at the office?

I think the keeper needs to give his head a good shake. It's a bit of a shitter when you are seeing good birds pass the line without even a single shot but there's nothing worse than seeing low birds pillowcased. There are a few different types of gun ranging from "only the very finest of birds" to "if it's got a pulse, shoot it". So what one man considers sporting another may not. But ffs if the guns are happy then surely it's not a bad day at the office?

Yes but the keeper doesn't know that till the end of the day unless the guns are saying after every drive that they are enjoy it. Keepers go on end of day bags, if they reach there target then there job has been done. If a keeper sees guns not shooting at birds theres nothing worse........and what someone thinks is not a sporting bird can be very different from another. Although this thread does make a nice change from the shoots i go too as its normally "head down" kind of stuff!!..... :icon_eek:

Yes but the keeper doesn't know that till the end of the day unless the guns are saying after every drive that they are enjoy it. Keepers go on end of day bags, if they reach there target then there job has been done. If a keeper sees guns not shooting at birds theres nothing worse........and what someone thinks is not a sporting bird can be very different from another. Although this thread does make a nice change from the shoots i go too as its normally "head down" kind of stuff!!..... :icon_eek:

I'm not sure how that's justification for his behaviour Lab. A simple chat with the guns after a drive is all that would have been needed to get a 'feel' for how the day is going and to shoot more birds if they are not happy. Absolutely no need to loose his rag. Too many keepers that haven't a clue about good manners or professionalism.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how that's justification for his behaviour Lab. A simple chat with the guns after a drive is all that would have been needed to get a 'feel' for how the day is going and to shoot more birds if they are not happy. Absolutely no need to loose his rag. Too many keepers that haven't a clue about good manners or professionalism.

quite agree we were all happy until he threw his toys outthe pram thats what spoilt the day not the shooting! we wont be going back

Ive said he handled it badly......but i refuse to believe only one side of the story. Seen it sooooooo many times!!.... :thumbs:

The truth is the season needs to go back a month most reared phezzies are not fit to fly in october to be a sporting MHO

ATB Cookie

I'm sorry but thats bollocks we start the 5th of oct and the birds have full tails and best even some of the top shots in the uk (first drive of the season went 350 shots for 19 birds)all that needs to happen is for keepers to do their job and get the birds in early enough to be mature before the start of the season

• Like 4

The truth is the season needs to go back a month most reared phezzies are not fit to fly in october to be a sporting MHO

ATB Cookie

I'm sorry but thats bollocks we start the 5th of oct and the birds have full tails and best even some of the top shots in the uk (first drive of the season went 350 shots for 19 birds)all that needs to happen is for keepers to do their job and get the birds in early enough to be mature before the start of the season

FFS who was shooting the local blind school???.. :D

ATB Cookie

FFS who was shooting the local blind school???.. :D

LOL I won't name names but there was some well known gents in the line, we ended on 340 for 2250 shots thank god for the partridge :laugh: they brought the shot count back a bit but I thought I would have to show them every bird on the place :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

It's when you put the birds over them and the shot counters are going round pdq & they moan that they haven't reached there bag, lol, even though they might of averaged 8/1. A lot of teams struggled getting a bag with us, in the end we started saying in the contracts that it was 150 birds or 750 shots. That sharp put a stop to any moaning by guns that were out classed and firing 1000+ for a handfull over a 100 in the larder..

• Like 1

It's when you put the birds over them and the shot counters are going round pdq & they moan that they haven't reached there bag, lol, even though they might of averaged 8/1. A lot of teams struggled getting a bag with us, in the end we started saying in the contracts that it was 150 birds or 750 shots. That sharp put a stop to any moaning by guns that were out classed and firing 1000+ for a handfull over a 100 in the larder..

I'm lucky there mate it's all private so we can concentrate on the sport and no worry too much about the bag, though we still have a bag expectation for the day

I'm lucky there mate it's all private so we can concentrate on the sport and no worry too much about the bag, though we still have a bag expectation for the day

Oh.....a walk in the park then........ :whistling::D
  • Like 1