Right first danw its sounds very likely the reason such a poor cart to kill ratio in your own words the vast number of birds your putting over the guns are beyond what would be called science based research of the shotgun cartridges range .

Do you know recommend to your guns the use of 5s and 32grams for certain drives plus loads or you happy for them to pop away with whateer they bring???

How many of the 331 birds missed on that drive do you think was pricked because of the birds being shown beyond the cartridges and guns limits and do you think its good practice .

Still you must have some idear of the average range of the birds on that drive ??so what is it or what do you call high in range terms ??

The reason I think the season should be pused back is not because of reared birds its because of the general change in our climate and to have the wild broods of pheasants country wide to be allowed to mature and the I personally think the beaters would prefer not t beat though 6 foot nettle at the begining of october

ATB Cookie

. Lol beaters. Lol

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No matter how mad you get, a keeper should only ever show that to the guns over bad safety issues,, everything other than that "keep your mouth shut" springs to mind.. On a day I had we really strugg

I'm sorry but thats bollocks we start the 5th of oct and the birds have full tails and best even some of the top shots in the uk (first drive of the season went 350 shots for 19 birds)all that needs t

The truth is the season needs to go back a month most reared phezzies are not fit to fly in october to be a sporting MHO   ATB Cookie

Na cookey A good team of beater can make the season local lads with a knowledge of the drives and intermate knowledge of plantations and were birds mite hold , i was laughing at the nettles. Watch the old hands line up at the begining of a drive and see who ends up in the nettles

sorry mate i thought you were having a dig at the beaters my mistake -billy ive been beating for as long as i know and without a good team of beaters there wouldnt be a good shoot

• Like 2

sorry mate i thought you were having a dig at the beaters my mistake -billy ive been beating for as long as i know and without a good team of beaters there wouldnt be a good shoot

. We used to have two old fellas who would carry and put out the sewlin line the were old as old can be but ploded round to every drive then sit and operate the line with army like exepertise The used to wear them old rubber macks down to their feet never spoke to any one all day lol just grunted every now and again then you would see them ploding off at the end of the day with a brace each lol Edited by gonetoearth

Right first danw its sounds very likely the reason such a poor cart to kill ratio in your own words the vast number of birds your putting over the guns are beyond what would be called science based research of the shotgun cartridges range .

Do you know recommend to your guns the use of 5s and 32grams for certain drives plus loads or you happy for them to pop away with whateer they bring???

How many of the 331 birds missed on that drive do you think was pricked because of the birds being shown beyond the cartridges and guns limits and do you think its good practice .

Still you must have some idear of the average range of the birds on that drive ??so what is it or what do you call high in range terms ??

The reason I think the season should be pused back is not because of reared birds its because of the general change in our climate and to have the wild broods of pheasants country wide to be allowed to mature and the I personally think the beaters would prefer not t beat though 6 foot nettle at the begining of october

ATB Cookie

First yes we have a minimum cartridge size and on the highest drives recomend a minimum of 32g 4's though the cartridge most favour is jk6 in a 36g 4 and rc40's in a 4,those that bring unsuitable cartridges are supplied cartridges by the estate.

Yes birds are pricked though we have an excellent team of picker ups that go far enough back to ensure the birds are picked and the drive is thoroughly swept though I do accept some will be missed as would be on many shoots

The avarage height of the birds I wont' speculate on there high enough

If your reasoning for the season to be changed is because of wild broods then perhaps those shoots that rely on them should start later rather than show poor birds and leave the rest of us that can show strong mature birds in october to get on with it.

As for the beaters since most start on the partridge in september they are used to the nettles :thumbs:

• Like 2
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Thanks for the answer :thumbs: to some of my questions :laugh: but not the most important one but to give you a guide 25 yards is not a high bird :laugh: 45 is a fairly high bird 60 to 65 is the practical limits of 4/5 32/34 gram shot even though some classy shooter will take birds at that distance on regular basis 80 yards is not beyond a kill but to acheive a good cart to kill ratio is hard .

If the land and drive depicts that most of the birds being presented over the guns at beyond 45 yards then I can see why 19 out of 350 rounds was the average .

And why would a partridge beater being use to nettles never found nettles on stubble or cover crops before :laugh:

ATB Cookie

Na cookey A good team of beater can make the season local lads with a knowledge of the drives and intermate knowledge of plantations and were birds mite hold , i was laughing at the nettles. Watch the old hands line up at the begining of a drive and see who ends up in the nettles

Haha, old hands and lazy fuckers......soon spot those type and make sure they end up in a dew soaked 6 ft high cover ! Lol

Cracking thread lads, one of the best I have read for ages on here

myself and 6 family and friends bought a 100 bird day at the weekend (partridge and pheasant )the weather conditions were pretty poor and the birds werent flying well at all lots of them though,after three drives the bag didnt look good ,but none of the guns were moaning !just about to move of to the next drive and the keeper starts ranting why arent you shooting the birds its not wales you no with hight flying birds to which i replyed im not shooting low birds and they were low ,all the other guns agreed,basically he wanted to pack the day in because we wernt shooting but i told him im not shooting unsporting birds ! just wandered what youre thoughts were on this i suppose he didnt want us to go away moaning about his shoot ,i was happy with what i shot though!

Your dead right mate, i remember being on a shoot in Anglesey. The birds were really low and only 3 out of 8 guns shot at them. I remember my old man saying to them after the drive, "them berds yow was shootin was oven ready me mon", The 3 guns looked bemused and asked why, and the old man replied "cus theres no fu**in feathers on em". shootin game imo is about being selective. Fair enough the keeper has put the birds over you but there aint no sport in shootin low flyers.

Thanks for the answer :thumbs: to some of my questions :laugh: but not the most important one but to give you a guide 25 yards is not a high bird :laugh: 45 is a fairly high bird 60 to 65 is the practical limits of 4/5 32/34 gram shot even though some classy shooter will take birds at that distance on regular basis 80 yards is not beyond a kill but to acheive a good cart to kill ratio is hard .

If the land and drive depicts that most of the birds being presented over the guns at beyond 45 yards then I can see why 19 out of 350 rounds was the average .

And why would a partridge beater being use to nettles never found nettles on stubble or cover crops before :laugh:

ATB Cookie

thank you for the guide I'll be sure to bear that in mind come monday :thumbs:

So back to your first statment why should reared bird shoots have to fall in line because in your opinion wild birds wont be ready or is it the case that after making your statment you realised that the only thing reared bird shoots need to do to have mature birds is put them to wood at a time that will ensure they will be properly mature come october?

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

The reason your avoiding my question on what you claim as a high bird on the drive where 19 out 350 was taken is

A you dont know what sort of height

B you know the height but its so extreme you dont want to post it as most would class the birds you are presenting are unsporting

C its not that high and dont want to post that your guns only took 19 birds out 350 on phezzies that where max 35 yards .

A bit like you on the pushing the season back a month its a statement and my opinion and I am not the only one to hold that opinon .

ATB Cookie

Edited by cookiemonsterandmerlin

The reason your avoiding my question on what you claim as a high bird on the drive where 19 out 350 was taken is

A you dont know what sort of height

B you know the height but its so extreme you dont want to post it as most would class the birds you are presenting are unsporting

C its not that high and dont want to post that your guns only took 19 birds out 350 on phezzies that where max 35 yards .

A bit like you on the pushing the season back a month its a statement and my opinion and I am not the only one to hold that opinon .

ATB Cookie

A,

been at this game a long time and yes I know the average height of the birds.

B,

what you call unsporting I may consider challenging but I would suggest that the type of cartridge used would be an indicator.

C'

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yes you made a statment and just like most other folk who claim the season should be set back when faced with the fact that it is the shoot/keepers fault the birds aren.t ready and that the age of the birds is the main factor as to their maturity rather than what month they are shot in then their argument falls faster than a pheasant from 75 yards :thumbs:

If i honest i would like to see the shooting season put back a month. Purely for my own selfish reasons....mainly being at the end of January keepers want to catch up birds straight away and give them too me for laying stock. Now i dont want birds in the pens( which are netted) when we have been seeing snow in Feb/ March time, its a big risk to put thousands of pounds worth of birds in pens in the event the snow comes, wrecks nets and they escape.... :thumbs: