Woodcock-nice to see them back

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s not my experience. All the birds we shoot and that are shot on estates local to me are processed by game dealers. A lot of them are exported to the continent. Any that are too badly damaged hav

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the the

Posted Images

Went for a stroll this morning where i had been told there were a few red deer about just to have a look and see if there were any signs of them as i have permission to stalk this area.I took along the 2 springers for the walk to loosen them out a bit and they actually flushed 2 woodcock from a little birch wood along the edge of the bog,in saying this we shot a good number of woodcock in the same area last season so no surprise but nice to see them all the same.As for teal we have them in abundance around us,every pond we shoot holds in good numbers and we have been shooting them since opening day.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out with the big German looking for snipe as I have never shot one I fact I have never even lifted the gun to on ...the bitterly cold wind was swirling and it was very heavy rain at times ...Rab was working a bit too fast and put a few up but never pointed any ...the dog worked well in the conditions and had a crakin point and flush with a great shot even if I do say so on my first woodcock of the season and 5 pheasants in 1 field ...a very enjoyable hour considering the weather.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

we had a good morning on the woodcock earlier.My 2 shooting mates and another chap we invited out went for our 1st serious morning at woodcock this season resulting with 8 in the bag and 11-12 flushed by the dogs,dogs worked very well and were still flying after 3 hours of heavy cover,good shooting,good dog work and good craic on a crispy frosty morning what more could a man ask for.

• Like 6