tegater

Woodcock-nice to see them back

we get quite a few on my local farm i shoot on in swansea when im out with the night vision there popping up in quite good numbers if i put the lamp across the field you see a fair few

There's an abundance around here at the moment, we rose 32 last weekend for 10 shot, mixed in among the Pheasants. They were flying well too.

which kind of dog do you use ?

didnt see many last year but this year there is plenty, not seen many on keepered moors but plenty on open/right to roam council moors. could be linked to less heat for dog lads on open moors?? food for thought

plenty of woodcock flushed today with the dog. Right on the durham coast so they be heading in land

Seen about 15 all together in about an hour, if only I had shooting permission

Are the ones we are seeing now residents or migratory birds? We had a fair few out today as well.

Looking forward to Saturday, once the woodcock are here it feels like the season has started properly to me.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Thanks 1

Saw 2 today, I was ferreting and they've flushed, not far one from the other, I couldn't take the shot at either of them. I am getting a German Pointer next months... Can't wait for my pup to be old enough to point them!!! Beautiful bird!!!

• Like 1

Dog put one up yesterday just as it was getting dark .

That's the first this winter from that wood. Reckon that's them dropping in to Argyllshire ahead of the snow as Inverness shire got a good dusting during the week.

It's brilliant to have them back . Nothing better than watching the dog scent them and flush them close.

Terrible year for them down here, haven't flushed more than a dozen the entire season,

Normally you'd be raising 20+ every day but I think it's just too warm for them.

I shot 2 today and flushed a further 10-15 that didn't get shot at first ever woodcock first barrel second ever woodcock first barrel I was happy...