tegater

Woodcock-nice to see them back

Took the terrier for a quick blast across the moor last night, just as it was getting dark, in what felt like 30 mph winds, and it was good to see a nice few woodcock coming back. He put up half a dozen, from the long heather, on one bank, in the space of a few hundred metres.

We had a disastrous season for them last year and had a self imposed ban on shooting them, but hopefully this season will be better. :thumbs:

Is anybody else seeing them coming in yet in any numbers?

• Like 2

we have a few resident ones here, but im yet to see the migratory ones this year yet. due to the wet, snipe are plntifull around here, the phesant are still just poults, they must have been very late clutches and partridge are as rare as hens teeth.

Took the terrier for a quick blast across the moor last night, just as it was getting dark, in what felt like 30 mph winds, and it was good to see a nice few woodcock coming back. He put up half a dozen, from the long heather, on one bank, in the space of a few hundred metres.

We had a disastrous season for them last year and had a self imposed ban on shooting them, but hopefully this season will be better. :thumbs:

Woodcock, the ultimate sporting bird. The mystery, the distances travelled, the eating qualities. If I had just one quarry to shoot and eat before I left this earth it would be a woodcock.........followed closely by a plump cock Teal.

• Like 2

Woodcock, the ultimate sporting bird. The mystery, the distances travelled, the eating qualities. If I had just one quarry to shoot and eat before I left this earth it would be a woodcock.........followed closely by a plump cock Teal.

and we have them both ,...........could find you a place mate

i see one every morning mate ,......look under the quilt and there it is ,..................a cock hard like wood,.......will try add some photos :laugh:
  • Like 1

A bird i always like to see fly off unlike the idiots who want to shoot the fookers why is behond me [bANNED TEXT] theirs thousands of pheasants and partridges to blast at.

When the weather changes for the worse the woodcock can be found in the gorse of a permission of mine as soon as the weather changes for the better there gone and you never see any till the next year

We flushed 2 yesterday at the Phesant Syndicate on the Blackdowns.

Magical Bird, wonderful to see them about

None seen as yet, we've only shot twice and the ground has never been good for Woodcock.

Few weeks time should give us an indication whether they are about, mind you we are quite far south.

Best shots at Woodcock I find and enjoy the most are when it's a bit windy and a Woodcock will fly through the line, saluted by every gun, only with it to fly on unscathed. It deserves to get away for being a truly wild and wily sporting bird.

First one seen yesterday.

Filling some feeders in a field of small Christmas trees and it popped up in front of me as I filled the last one.

1st November 09:30am :thumbs:

went out yesterday for 6 hours and found 1. I let it zig zag off through the tress. I have a personal rule that i won't shoot one unless I have already pointed and flushed 2 in a day. They are brilliant birds and no point in shooting them just becuase they are there..