Woodcock-nice to see them back

On 24/11/2016 at 3:51 PM, fat man said:

we had a good morning on the woodcock earlier.My 2 shooting mates and another chap we invited out went for our 1st serious morning at woodcock this season resulting with 8 in the bag and 11-12 flushed by the dogs,dogs worked very well and were still flying after 3 hours of heavy cover,good shooting,good dog work and good craic on a crispy frosty morning what more could a man ask for.

A dig in the afternoon !!!!!!!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s not my experience. All the birds we shoot and that are shot on estates local to me are processed by game dealers. A lot of them are exported to the continent. Any that are too badly damaged hav

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the the

Posted Images

Apparently flushed three on Saturdays syndicate day. Not generally good area for woodcock so a good early indication really. Big moon on Friday night I guess will have brought them in. Now the season has started!

Now if later this season I can bag one over my young cocker I'll be made up!

Was out saturday for a couple of hours,had the springer and 2 labs out,flushed 7 that i seen accounting for 3,i was in very heavy cover and shooting was hard to say the least,if my mate was with me we probably woulf have had a better day but i was alone,still a good couple of hours,missed a real easy cock pheasant,broke asnd flew a straight line right down in front of me and i never put a grain in him,lol sah well if you shot everything it would get boring.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, bell said:

a10.JPG.19d4ddc8b6f5a452051840b7ea53fce5.JPG

We had another 3 this morning ourselves flushing 8 in total for about 2 hours hunting.The place we were doing we actually had 11 from it last season on a morning but the cover has gone very thick now and even the swpringers were finding it hard to penetrate at times and the trees have grown to a height that makes shooting near impossible in places but we persevered,at 1 point 2 nice red hinds almost ran me down with my mates young springer hot in pursuit,they will be there for a morning or evening with the rifle,i had to finish early as i had to go to work in the afternoon but an enjoyable morning.

• Like 2

I’m glad to see the woodcock are filtering through. I’m heading over tomorrow to do some shooting and I’d sure like to get a chance at woodcock. 

The flight came through here last month. Had a couple good days on them, and shot a few over my springer. Actually,....shot a few over my friends springer, too. Had one day where we easily flushed 50 but lunch time. 

• Like 1