Woodcock-nice to see them back

Took the terrier for a quick blast across the moor last night, just as it was getting dark, in what felt like 30 mph winds, and it was good to see a nice few woodcock coming back. He put up half a dozen, from the long heather, on one bank, in the space of a few hundred metres.

We had a disastrous season for them last year and had a self imposed ban on shooting them, but hopefully this season will be better. :thumbs:

Is anybody else seeing them coming in yet in any numbers?

• Like 2

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s not my experience. All the birds we shoot and that are shot on estates local to me are processed by game dealers. A lot of them are exported to the continent. Any that are too badly damaged hav

Young lads first timberdick shot on my keepers day last week ...he has had another since ....we started off with decent numbers in December but have dwindled away in my area ....saw a few with the the

Posted Images

we have a few resident ones here, but im yet to see the migratory ones this year yet. due to the wet, snipe are plntifull around here, the phesant are still just poults, they must have been very late clutches and partridge are as rare as hens teeth.

Took the terrier for a quick blast across the moor last night, just as it was getting dark, in what felt like 30 mph winds, and it was good to see a nice few woodcock coming back. He put up half a dozen, from the long heather, on one bank, in the space of a few hundred metres.

We had a disastrous season for them last year and had a self imposed ban on shooting them, but hopefully this season will be better. :thumbs:

Woodcock, the ultimate sporting bird. The mystery, the distances travelled, the eating qualities. If I had just one quarry to shoot and eat before I left this earth it would be a woodcock.........followed closely by a plump cock Teal.

• Like 2

Woodcock, the ultimate sporting bird. The mystery, the distances travelled, the eating qualities. If I had just one quarry to shoot and eat before I left this earth it would be a woodcock.........followed closely by a plump cock Teal.

and we have them both ,...........could find you a place mate

i see one every morning mate ,......look under the quilt and there it is ,..................a cock hard like wood,.......will try add some photos :laugh:
  • Like 1

When the weather changes for the worse the woodcock can be found in the gorse of a permission of mine as soon as the weather changes for the better there gone and you never see any till the next year

None seen as yet, we've only shot twice and the ground has never been good for Woodcock.

Few weeks time should give us an indication whether they are about, mind you we are quite far south.

Best shots at Woodcock I find and enjoy the most are when it's a bit windy and a Woodcock will fly through the line, saluted by every gun, only with it to fly on unscathed. It deserves to get away for being a truly wild and wily sporting bird.

went out yesterday for 6 hours and found 1. I let it zig zag off through the tress. I have a personal rule that i won't shoot one unless I have already pointed and flushed 2 in a day. They are brilliant birds and no point in shooting them just becuase they are there..

• Like 3