Obediance training for Patterdale terriers?

Does anyone know if there is a decent book or a website that I can get info off of, for obediance training for Patterdales?

I'd realy appreciate some recommendations as I want to do the best with me dog that I can.

He's not hard to handle realy (well so far anyway) and he's not realy that bad with sh*tting and p*ssing all over the house (he's had a few moments, and mainly in the same spot), nothing to bad though realy and he does know its wrong because the last few times he's done it he's looked at me funny and ran into his bed, with his ears and head down.

I'd just like some guidlines and and knowledge to refer to every now and then so I can see that I'm doing things right.

Thanks for your time...

Pipey Magregor

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ripstop
train them as you would any other dog... theres no difference, obidience is obidience no matter what colour or cread your dog is

TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THAT AS PATTERDALES HAVE A MUCH HIGHER PREY DRIVE AND A NATURAL INSTINCT TO CHASE KILL AND GO TO GROUND. TRY TO BE A BIT FIRMER WITH THEM AS IT WILL PAY OFF IN THE LONG RUN. JRT PLUMMERS ETC ARE FAR MORE OBIDIENT THAN A PAT. JUST TRY STOPPING THEM GO TO GROUND WHEN SOMETHING AT HOME WITHOUT A LEAD ON :cry:

train them as you would any other dog... theres no difference, obidience is obidience no matter what colour or cread your dog is

TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH THAT AS PATTERDALES HAVE A MUCH HIGHER PREY DRIVE AND A NATURAL INSTINCT TO CHASE KILL AND GO TO GROUND. TRY TO BE A BIT FIRMER WITH THEM AS IT WILL PAY OFF IN THE LONG RUN. JRT PLUMMERS ETC ARE FAR MORE OBIDIENT THAN A PAT. JUST TRY STOPPING THEM GO TO GROUND WHEN SOMETHING AT HOME WITHOUT A LEAD ON :cry:

just like a spaniel has that over whelming urge to hunt, the labs over whelming urge to retrieve, the lurchers urges to chace.. etc etc etc he is talking about obidience training...... as a owner of working terriers iv found the best way to stop them going to ground when checking holes is either keep them on a lead or on a couple if you have two dogs out, until YOU are ready to enter a dog.. imo any WORKING terrier that arrives at a hole with no lead or couple is going to slip to ground at its first oppertunity if it thinks theres something at home, sean plenty of working terriers and im yet to come across one that would sit and wait to be told it could enter a occupied den...

i have been around a lot of dogs in my time and the pat is not the easiest to train but not the worst either. the more time you spend with your dogs the easier it becomes, in most cases. just be firm and consistant with your dog, dont try and train for hours at a time and you should see results.

Thanks lads, it's the first time I've had a dog like this (Patterdale) and the first time in a long time that I've had a dog at all.

So far I have found him to be pretty well behaved and obediant considering his age and the "Patterdales are hard to train" talk. I have him in the houe and because I work from home I do get to spend maybe more time with him than most get the chance to but I dont let him get away with any nonsense. I am firm with him, I dont have none of this sitting on the settee b*llocks, and theres rooms he's not allowed in, which he knows aswell.

His behaviour has been brilliant, he can be abit hyper, but then again he does sleep quite alot to what I thought he'd do, probably the worst thing he's done is shit on the landing and trod it in everywhere lol, but I could probably count on one hand how many times he's sh!t in the house and he hasnt done that for days now, everything he does he does outside in the garden.

He's made a write off of my birds slippers aswell but, realy thats about it.

I'm wondering how he's going to be towards other dogs? I surpose I'd have to wait and see but my mates Patterdale bitch is good with the dogs she works with, she never shows any aggression towards them from what I've seen but she will fight with any dog she doesn't know.

I just thought if there was a decent book or something like that about I could pick up, just incase I hit a bump in the road that I may need some help with.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about it all? I dont know? but thanks anyway lads, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about it all?

Or maybe not! Try to recognise the signs when your dog needs to take a leak....that way you can stall the opening of the rear door and encourage him to throw his tongue. This learnt behaviour he can then employ to circumnavigate the treading of the shit (Woof-Woof/open sesamee/gaffers happy/ball-wool).

Buy your bird some new slippers and let the terrier know that they are out of bounds (a slap on the floor should suffice/the slippers not the terrier). You are already aware that the terrier likes the earlier slippers.. so if you use your loaf then you will have it by the short and curlys by dint of not allowing it another nosh on them without doing something for you (making a deal with it's motivation).

Yeah, like I said earlier I think I'm on top of the defecating in the house thing, I've had him for two weeks now, he's 11 weeks old and he's going to the toilet out in the garden, and as far as damage is concerned he has only chewed up my birds slippers, he hasnt touched mine or the kids so I'm not bothered lol.

Nah seriously I'll do as you say (buy the good lady a new pair) and make sure he knows he cant touch any of the others if he feels he's had enough of the old ones he's clattered.

How many Patterdale owners here have found their dog to be aggressive towards other dogs?

How many Patterdale owners here have found their dog to be aggressive towards other dogs?

mine is in no way agressive to other dogs, but he will brook no nonsense. if another dog starts on him then standby for a pasting.

My mates bitch doesnt realy like other dogs from what I've seen, she can be abit hostile towards them.

People and other dogs she knows she is pretty well behaved with.

She's got a real serial killer look to her she has, she has this way where she doesnt look at you but looks straight through you, real cold stare like.

• 4 weeks later...

You got to just stick with the dog......yeah its going to chew the odd thing left lying about but get some things for the dog to chew........you going to be waiting quite a while for the dog to calm down... my pat is 14months and there is no sign yet :laugh: brilliant with my kids but if another bigger dog tries to stand over her then there is going to be trouble, game as anything like they forget there own size :gunsmilie::yes:

VariouspicsJuly2007059.jpg

The pup in this pic is 13 weeks and executes 30ft retrieves to hand (not mine).

collage18.jpg

Not sure about that ,something not right,why would a fell type dog want to sit with its feet in the air,i reckon a dog should be trained to do what it needs to do :big_boss::tongue2::laugh: