deer dogs (preban)

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jetro said:

Ok, silly question.

What's the difference between a non ped whippet and a ped one. I take it, it's more than just paper work.

Atb j 

ped whippets are obviously kennel club registered but non peds have been outcrossed to another breed (usually greyhound) to increase speed for racing. Whippet racing is big in parts of the UK so dogs are well tested and good non peds are streets ahead of peds for speed, weight for weight and size for size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/02/2020 at 13:17, Balaur said:

Yep nasty that, seen pics of quite a few dogs hit head and neck not seen a shoulder one like that though...

Seen a dog at a show few year back that had a 12 inch scar across its ribs from a munty.......and some of you long timers on here might remember a member by the name ooty.....he is firemans mate....he had an experienced deer dog killed by a munty...I believe it opend  up an artery on the dogs neck...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Had beddy x whippet needed 60+ stitches to face,neck & chest from a big munty buck plus the horn damaged her skull & chipped back of her eye socket. Horrible bloody things We’re over run with them. Shot 30+ last year & still over run yet no rbts anywhere!!! Atb

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Son in laws lurcher was opened by a muntie recently .Accidental hunt of course .The two terriers following it saw of the buck but not before it did £1220 of damage on a back holiday 

Naughty

Glad it's only the roe where I am, and they're multiplying year on year

7 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Munty bucks are tough little buggers and put up a surprising fight for their size. If dog grabs them by neck / shoulders, it runs risk of getting a spike in its face / neck and with a leg hold it’s amazing how they will spin round and try to take the dogs shoulder/ flank with their little sharp tusks. Skin like leather to. Good dogs develop the knack of bowling them over and onto the throat like a fox etc. 

Had a very sensible little rough coated lurcher of around 23" many years ago. The first munty she ever saw threw its head round as she grabbed it by the back of the neck. It opened her shoulder blade to the bone, like a knife through butter. Never even bled a lot and it was only when she started limping badly I realised what had happened. A friend's dog nearly died after a buck ripped his artery in his neck. And a friend got bitten through his welly when trying to immobilise another one. They might be small and a bit comical to look at but they are dangerous little sods.

• Like 6

When you look at the weaponry they are carrying, coupled with a low centre of gravity and the dog being above and around the sharp bits when they catch (rather than well below), you can see why many moons ago, before the ban, they could do a surprising amount of damage. 

C7248A09-00A3-4474-A54C-C8D3CB86255A.jpeg

888740C3-E43D-4F05-837D-0FD65AC384C1.jpeg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

When you look at the weaponry they are carrying, coupled with a low centre of gravity and the dog being above and around the sharp bits when they catch (rather than well below), you can see why many moons ago, before the ban, they could do a surprising amount of damage. 

C7248A09-00A3-4474-A54C-C8D3CB86255A.jpeg

I remember the 1st munty I ever took with a dog was a buck I fascinated over the way it looked it was like some wierd creature from another planet before that point I think I'd only heard of tales from my dad and his mates and pictures id saw in books of them

• Like 1