deer dogs (preban)

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

:yes:Caught a fair few Roe in the woods,...if they rise close, jumping up out of brash , cover or bracken, a fast type can quickly take them down,...but, it is a practice, fraught with danger,.I've had dogs get real busted up in the woods,..

In my experience,..it's a game of chance,.best avoided,..it just ain't worth the risk... :no:

• Like 6

Had a half cross deer/grey [ cookland line I think ] in a very short time she became a master at pulling big beasties, when the ones in open land became scares she started looking for them in cover, she continued her success and boy o boy did I become cocky about it until she made a fatal error :( can only dodge the bullet for so long.

• Like 1

Got a 5/8 grey 1/4 deer 1/8 bull here, so many deer around cannot let her run free, over run with roe. I dare say she could have easily caught a few before bending them if given the chance ;)

You poor bugger Del, must be like living in a nightmare... Thank feck for rabbits eh! ;)

I have seen quite a few roe taken in woodland but agree with what's already been stated the dog can pay with cuts and knocks especially to their feet. Never at night though that would scare the sh@t out of me.

Edited by Allan P

I haven't saw a dog near one for years, I've never saw one on a roe much at night maybe one night there was a good quick run. Saw a couple in the daytime and give a good size athletic dog a good match. Saw another like said above not turn so good when going out

• Like 1

Deer, good to eat, I don't know about the smaller two but the must all be edible!, my friend once told me with the lurcher instinct will kick in and it will know how to take him, and he was only a 18 year old lad,he hadn't even been up against them. And a lot of those mutts, it's a no harm thing, like a mutt might not be so brave on a few good foxes

Deer numbers have exploded in certain areas,i was reading about the red deer population in Scotland from an estimated 300,000 less than 10 years ago the current population us estimated in excess of 600,000 now!! Deer of all species are appearing in the most strangest of places where once a sighting would be unheard of,you really have to keep your wits about you if letting your dogs run free even in the most populated areas,housing estates,spinneys around shopping areas,car parks,public parks,play areas etc..yes they are always nice to see out & about but they attract the attention of a running dog like that of shit to a fly..were it the family Lab out for a walk with its owners and the kids that chased one it would be laughed off but heaven forbid if it was a dog with running blood in it that chased one with its owner wearing a bit of camo..be a date in the local magistrates for sure..this is how the public envisage each and everyone of us who keep lurchers & wear a bit of country clobber,mindless,ruthless,blood thirsty killers..yet be it a Labrador or a Deerhound that runs one is there really any difference? Both are just dogs but in the eyes of joe public its the demeanour and dress code of the person who is in charge of those dogs imo..it shouldn't matter a hoot but thats just how they including the law seem to view things..once had a bitch that wouldn't look in the direction of one,wish they were all like her..would of saved some huffing & puffing and that feeling of almost fainting when your hearts racing in excess of 150 beats per minute when things got up close & pretty personal lol..my advice is if you want a hassle free life train your dogs from pups not to look at em..im glad i did,im too old for the drama of what could and probably would happen with so many of the darn things around these days ?

• Like 7

Deer, good to eat, I don't know about the smaller two but the must all be edible!, my friend once told me with the lurcher instinct will kick in and it will know how to take him, and he was only a 18 year old lad,he hadn't even been up against them. And a lot of those mutts, it's a no harm thing, like a mutt might not be so brave on a few good foxes

true :thumbs: its funny really most dogs will pull down 100lb deer, but scared of a 18lb dogfox, if old Charlie used his teeth on them before :yes:

• Like 1