deer dogs (preban)

now i have never been lucky enough for any of my dogs to have caught one probably due to the lack of numbers of deer on my ground. but i will always remember when i first got into the sport years back and one bolted from cover and ran straight across an open field with my dog in hot pursuit the course must of lasted 2 mins tops before it reached cover. looking back it should of been dead and maybe the whippet x grey i had at the time held back a little if i am honest. i was just wondering if any of you lads have had the joy of owning a dog that took deer regularly be it on the lamp or in the day and what crosses would you choose to use if it was deer you was after?

feel free to upload some pictures lads :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

every thread turns messy on here :laugh: i would have loved to have done it properly pre ban, i remember as i kid i nearly wet myself when it come bounding across the field. i think it sticks out more just cause i never caught one and wont ever get the chance to be honest.

easy to catch?? i doubt it have you seen the feckers shift....

Edited by Ray Mears
  • Like 1

There was a guy on here who said they are like sheep very easy to catch and no test for any lurcher.

especially beddy/whippets :laugh:

on red stags :whistling:

Them beddy whips go for the throat ya now :laugh:

they jump in the mouth of them big stags and block the windpipe like a big furrball, lethal they are :whistling:

thread wont last long, always turns messy :laugh: been done to death over the years, there was even a book written with pictures aswell :whistling:

Seems more folks are interested since the ban. As for the lamb thing depends on the land and circumstances. Foxes were always better pre ban for my money. The game dealer don't buy them though lol.

Then again never been much in the way of deer around here aside the odd muntjac lol.

Karpman

• Like 1

nice red deer fuji. I would think a muntjack would be fairly easy for a lurcher, rather than out two natives[roe or red]

would that be because its smaller :laugh: i would have thought getting one to break cover would be a job in its self :hmm: