gprs tracking system for dogs!!

i'm not even sure if thats the right name for it but does anyone have one or something along the lines of what i'm after?? i think the ozzy guys use them for hog hunting but i'd like to hear what systems are available and how they work, range and what price they go from??

had a go on fleabay there but nothin of use came up!! maybe i'm not putting in the correct search?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

300 quid to know exactly where you hounds or dogs are is not scandalous at all. When most folk who go ferreting spend about £150 to locate their ferret.

its telemetry you want mate not gps (far to expensive) fintracker, tinyloc make em, look on usa dog sites

come in very handy for some owners of saluki types when they feck off hunting up lol

i'm not even sure if thats the right name for it but does anyone have one or something along the lines of what i'm after?? i think the ozzy guys use them for hog hunting but i'd like to hear what systems are available and how they work, range and what price they go from??

had a go on fleabay there but nothin of use came up!! maybe i'm not putting in the correct search?

You need a Garmin astro gps unit mate. They are the best on the market. You can get a 2 dog system for about £550 I have used one pig hunting in N.Z and they are very easy to use also. Cheers

christ thats a scandalous price... the lowest range seems to be 13 odd miles, where i was thinkin 2-3 miles would be enough!!

what got me thinkin about it is that i was runnin them today and i already have them on electric collars but when they got out of the 800mt range they were off on the nose with no come back... 4 hours later i found them within range and got them under control again!! but i could have easily went the wrong direction and never found them!! :-(

its telemetry you want mate not gps (far to expensive) fintracker, tinyloc make em, look on usa dog sites

I have used this type in N.Z and thought it was shite. Lost 2 dogs for 3 hours. gps is far superior!

You need a Garmin astro gps unit mate. They are the best on the market. You can get a 2 dog system for about £550 I have used one pig hunting in N.Z and they are very easy to use also. Cheers

cheers mate, what sort of range did you get with them??

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=garmin+astro+220&rlz=1C1FDUM_enGB481GB481&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=787809879853713794&sa=X&ei=B6yCUMryLMK2hQfdwYGIBQ&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAw

Not that dear at all. I think I shall save up for a couple. Once the Airedale things hit a hot scent in deep cover I have no way of knowing where they are, and it can take them a while to either lose or catch their game. Worth that peace of mind knowing where they are.

There's another one which also doubles as a shock collar and even tells you if the dog is standing still or treed! Awesome!

hi the receivers are 590 but they hold there price, marshall telemetry the best there is globally, you could sell the reciever after 4 or 5 years you will still sell it for 400 ish easy.

ps there is a lot lot more to tracking gear than just sticking it on a dog or bird and thinking everything is safe, cos its not, its fairly technical gear, you need to learn how to use it properly, BEFORE, you lose a bird or a dog, (its not a simple as ferret locater or anything like that)

ps if its gear that you need and want its not that expensive really, ferreting sets cost a couple of hundred

and a lithium battery and lamp is 300 ish

Edited by cocker