new dog

Guest LEARNER

Guest LEARNER

It will be 5 weeks now ,since TAM,was taken from my back yard, and i,ve been like a cat on a hot tin roof ,ever since ,well today i bought a 23inch ,bitch , she,s just over 3years old, and all she has done is lamped, the lad has new young dogs in, and wanted to sell the older dogs on, i think this may be a bit off a challenge for me, but i,m going to start her ferreting as soon as possible ,well after a accessment period, its just some thing i have to do, before i get a young pup, i am going to wait a few days ,and then introduce her to some light obediance training , she seems a smart little dog ,but i,m just going to wait and see ,what vices crop up, she does not have to be a world beater, and i can be a sucker ,for a reject dog .anyway lets see.

Guest LEARNER

THANKS, i,m not looking for the world, from this bitch, but she is a definite help, regarding TAMS, theft, my main aim at the moment is to be united with TAM, but untill then ,i will give this bitch , my best regarding food ,exercise, and companionship, like i,ve said , i hope to get her into ferreting, i was out this morning at 5am, i know a small warren ,in a hedgerow, the little bitch spied a rabbit has we got close ,and gave chase, at the same time another one sprang from a seat in front off her, and both went down the warren, i watched her looking at the holes, more curious than knowing, i walked up ,and stroking her , praised her , i think she thought she had done well ,but not realising why, but at least she showed some interest, i hope to build on this, but anyway ,i,ve made my mind up ,what ever happens , she,s staying, perhaps old age ,is making me soft, her breeding i would guess is whippet greyhound , with a touch off some thing else, what i did notice, tho green regarding daytime work ,she was very steady, she also reminds me of a bitch i had many moons ago, if it ends were i have to have a pup, she will be good company for it. CHEERS.

if she is not ruined she can be a lot of fun while you are looking for that "perfect" pup we all want. I think you are looking at it the right way, you can be in the field with her in a week if she bonds, while you continue her training.

If you had gotten a pup right now, it might only be working for you at the end of the season if you are lucky, and you would still have to put a lot of time training it the way you want.

of course i like to raise my own the way I want it, but some of the best work i have ever had was out of grown gyps that the previous owners' circumstances put them in my hands.(also had to sort out a few junkers that should never have been passed on in similar situations :angry: )

good luck and give her all the work she wants, you might not need a pup after all(i'm one to talk though, i have 8 running dogs and 5 pups coming on :(:D )

Guest LEARNER

I, forgot to mention ,she as had a litter of pups, and her name is JET, now i have had all the spiel off the previous owner ,how good she is on the lamp, and this and that, but it just went in one ear and out the next, seen it all ,heard it all, now yesterday i was playing tennis with my grandson, well just knocking the ball against the house, when my little pal, hit the ball to hard ,and it went passed the pen , where JET, was standing ,never one to miss a clue ,i noticed she was wagging her tail, when SCOTT, was picked up by his mum , i went in the kitchen ,made a cup of tea, and mused of what i had seen, finished the tea, picked the tennis ball up ,put it in my pocket ,and went and let JET, out the pen , sat on the wall by the lawn ,pulled the ball from my pocket ,and threw it across the lawn, JET, streaked after it ,picked it up ,which please me, turned and carried it ,about 15 or so feet ,to my left hand side, which did not please me, i knew from that second , in her lamping forays, she had either had a rabbit snatch from her mouth why retrieving ,or she had been pestered by a other dog ,standing to close to her owner, or most likly both, now i knew as well ,this would be her retrieving mode if i took her out ,on the lamp that night ,which i,ve to much common sense not to , but then again ,at this moment, i have no idea if she still retrieves live game, well i called her in ,and she came gingerly ,but dropped the ball about a foot away ,a other clue, i picked the ball up ,and threw it a few more times ,with more or less the same result ,but on the last retrieve ,she more or less held it ,till i took it out her mouth, so that made me pleased again, well tonight when i come from work ,i will start ,a couple off lessons with her, but in a differant venue, i am not that stupid to know ,this will be a bit off a drawn out session ,finding out the good and bad points of this bitch, but she,s with me now ,and she,s standing on my ground, and what the hell ,i do not expecting the world from her ,she never asked to be with me , and her main tasked is to keep me company ,till i have a positive attiude ,to get a other pup, and my main aim ,is to try and direct her into a marking ferreting dog, anything else will be a bonus.