Picking up Money

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£25, but I see it as a bonus to a great day working my dog. It's not about the money money money.

Of course the first thing is working your dog but its nice to be appreciated on the day too. When i was dishing out beating money it was £30......i just wouldn't ask anyone to come out for any less th

I don't do it for the money because to be honest i could make more doing other things. I see a days beating as a day away from it all having good craic with a bunch of mates and building up a few brow

Of course the first thing is working your dog but its nice to be appreciated on the day too. When i was dishing out beating money it was £30......i just wouldn't ask anyone to come out for any less than that and i tried to get the days finished at a reasonable time and i made sure pies, sausage rolls and bridies were a plenty. Soup as well. Now this was a little shoot that i had myself and it is quite annoying when you go to a large commercial shoot and only get 20/25. You do have to drive there and fuel isnt cheap and when you have 2/3 dogs working then your doing your bit.

• Like 5

Fairplay to you Labtastic, that's the way it should be, no one is going to retire on beaters wages but a man should be paid for his time and sweat.

I know of shoots where a beater has got to die before there's an opening whilst others year in year out toil to get beaters, says it all in my opinion.

There s a point...does one man and one dog get the same as a man and four dogs?

I really dont think you can dish out more money on how many dogs folk bring...lets face it someone could have 3 and they can all be shite and somebody with 1 could do a better job. From a beater to a flagman....to a stop to a picker up everyone is equal on the day. I think £30 quid is pretty much the going rate these days for full days attendance......dog food and beer tokens as i look at it...... :D
  • Like 3

i take 5 labs with me others take 1 or 2 and we all get the same but im not asking for more coz im working 5 i love working my dogs and i wont stop going picking up coz the money is shite but as labtastic said its nice to be appreciated hail hail labtastic

• Like 2

I know its not about the money but the dogs have to be fed and looked after and dog feed has gone up again and it will go up again soon the last time we had a rise was 6 years ago and it went up £1 Im not a charity

Well sell your dogs and pack up then!! What did you get your lab or spaniel for?? To work them I'm guessing, if it makes YOU feel better then start walking up every Saturday instead of picking up, I know which your dog will prefere..

When I was keepering I had folk giving up £200 a day at there work to come out with there dogs, but I guess I was lucky being surrounded by true dog folk..

I suggest you go speak to the police about who ever is holding the gun to your head making you go!!

Spot on mate

Saying about taking dogs beating is a shoot likely to allow me to take my Lurcher for beating? Also am I to late to do some this season?

Some will I am sure but in my experience mostly they don't like them around.....if you do, expect to keep it on a lead all day.

• Like 1

i do a few local shoots [beating] and dont get paid only a 10 minute drive but other shoots where i drive for an hour or more i get 35 -40 quid so it goes in the tank dog food etc but in all honesty watching your dog working is pay enough to a real dog man/woman-billy ps i also get as much vermin shooting as i want thrown in !

Had a few offers.Never for hire.Me or my dogs. :victory:

Bollocks.....seen that cocker on the video you put up and its a pat-licker............. :D