Picking up Money

I see getting paid on some shoots as a bonus on others i expect it, i have a 110 mile round trip for one of the DIY shoots i beat on, i dont get paid but it's a nice friendly well run shoot and the guns take you to the pub and buy you a meal at the end of the day.This place is a mixture of pine forest and moorland in the Peak District and is a stunning place to work your dogs which is the main reason i do it.Like JaiJai, I did a small shoot yesterday which was an 80mile round trip and got a bacon sarnie for my troubles, but i had a great day with everyone there which makes it worth while. However when it comes the bigger commercial shoots then i would want at least £25 for my services, these shoots make decent money and i think its only fair you get your travel expenses or dog food paid for.

I suppose at the end of the day its all about what its worth to you, if like me seeing the results all the hard work you have put into training your dogs is your reward and payment secondary then its a great day out.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£25, but I see it as a bonus to a great day working my dog. It's not about the money money money.

Of course the first thing is working your dog but its nice to be appreciated on the day too. When i was dishing out beating money it was £30......i just wouldn't ask anyone to come out for any less th

I don't do it for the money because to be honest i could make more doing other things. I see a days beating as a day away from it all having good craic with a bunch of mates and building up a few brow

i do a few local shoots [beating] and dont get paid only a 10 minute drive but other shoots where i drive for an hour or more i get 35 -40 quid so it goes in the tank dog food etc but in all honesty watching your dog working is pay enough to a real dog man/woman-billy ps i also get as much vermin shooting as i want thrown in !

I like watching my dogs work as much as the next man, be it lamping, ferreting, ratting etc. I can also get my gundogs out working for my pleasure on many casual shooting days. But if I go beating or picking up where someone else dictates what time I'm required, what time I'm needed till and where to stand and what to do inbetween then I'm looking to be paid, simple as.

• Like 1

i was just asking how much folk got i never said i did it for the money but it does help feed the dogs. as for folk giving up £200 at work to work there dog alimac f**k off your talking pish . Well said bigdaz

So what was that about " not being a f*****g charity" ?? that says to me that money is your major concern / complaint ??

If your not happy with what they give you to cover yours costs why don't you either a/ just stop going, b/ go speak to the keeper, or c/ stop f*****g complaining and just get out and enjoy the day with your dogs, the craic, and being out in the country side for the day and try not to let that £1 less that your getting paid compared to average bother you too much, lol

I tried to look after mine they were paid the going rate, had breakfast coffe nip etc then a hot lunch & keepers days etc , because with out then all your work through out the year goes up in smoke, your f****d with out them 25 or so people that give up there day to get out onto the shoot..

Ok fella I'm taking the pish, I totally made that bit up, can't believe you caught me out, none earned that sort of money, all my beaters were on the dole and moaned like f**k..lol

• Like 1

I would travel 180 mile round trip to give my pal a hand when he had a big day on, 25 sovs and a nice bowl of stew.....a couple of runs out on the estate once shooting had finished and a beaters day to get a crack at birds the regular guns are paying thousands for is more than generous in my opinion.

• Like 1

I would travel 180 mile round trip to give my pal a hand when he had a big day on, 25 sovs and a nice bowl of stew.....a couple of runs out on the estate once shooting had finished and a beaters day to get a crack at birds the regular guns are paying thousands for is more than generous in my opinion.

Different scenario, that's helping a mate which we would all do.

The original question was how much beaters/pickers up were paid. The way I read it, it was in regards to a commercial shoot, where people roll up in expensive vehicles in the best of clobber and pay good money to cap off at birds,the gamebird breeders are paid, the keepers paid,underkeepers paid, the shoot should be earning and we're saying what ?, beaters should be content with being allowed to work their dogs?. My arse, the day wouldn't happen if it wasn't for the beaters and pickers up. I'd also add, the reason the beating rate is pish and hasn't risen in years is entirely down to people willing to do it for nothing or a pittance. I myself value my dogs and my time a bit higher.

• Like 1

If you had any idea how much it actually cost to run a shoot you might not be so quick to expect more for your day, sadly it won't change how much you think your worth.. very few shoots these days are run at anything near a profit, the money from paying guests just goes to offset some of the years cost..

• Like 2

If you had any idea how much it actually cost to run a shoot you might not be so quick to expect more for your day, sadly it won't change how much you think your worth.. very few shoots these days are run at anything near a profit, the money from paying guests just goes to offset some of the years cost..

Well don't run a bloody shoot then, I expect to be paid for my time and efforts like any other worker. I actually find it quite incredulous that people think you should put fuel in your car, turn up with your dogs and spend a day of your life working for a pittance to make their shoot economically viable.

Now I will readily admit that I don't know shit about gun dogs, but my own opinion is that if you own working dogs the number one priority is always trying to find enough work for those dogs.......and it ain't easy.

I agree, you should be compensated but that can come in many forms and if any working dog owner can get to,work their animal at what it was bred for then really any money is a bonus.

To be honest, I have met a few blokes on shoots who only ever talk about money in some way, wether it be the price they are charging for their latest litter or the rates or how much it cost them to get there........funny you rarely hear them talk about the drive or if the birds went well, they don't seem to have as much interest in the day itself.

They bore the pants off me.

Each to their own I suppose.

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

So long as a get a better day at thje end of the year on the shoots I work happy days my days shooting would run into 3 to 4 grand if I paid for them driven days.

So I think 30 bucks for the dog and 40 bucks for me 70 bucks in total sarnies and a beaters day at end of season makes it way over a ton a day

ATB Cookie

a local keeper is letting me go lamping on sat night, how much will he pay me??............. :hmm:

Are you taking a day off work or putting in a holiday for your nights lamping?..... :hmm:

I

a local keeper is letting me go lamping on sat night, how much will he pay me??............. :hmm:

Hows much will Lab pay if we catch his charlie :toast:

Same rate your paying for finding your Combine............... :toast:

Well don't run a bloody shoot then, I expect to be paid for my time and efforts like any other worker. I actually find it quite incredulous that people think you should put fuel in your car, turn up with your dogs and spend a day of your life working for a pittance to make their shoot economically viable.

I ran it but I didn't pay for it. Let's say you went beating from nov 1st every sat that ruffly 12 days your out getting you £29 per day, if it's a half decent shoot a gun for the day will cost around £500, guessing you get a keepers day?? Split that £500 by 12 days = £41.66 per day add that to your £29 wage per day, the total now is £70.66 per day that your out, now if your not happy with the equivilant of£70 a day to get out and work your dog then tuff f*****g shit...