Picking up Money

Bigdaz Labtastic and Me all talk the same language the rest of you are from another planet

Aye your right I am on another planet cause I'm the one who gets to say who does and who doesn't pick up here and fact is when we shot 60 days a year I never had call to look for picker ups they came to me and even with 480 places a year to fill (8 picker ups per day for 60 days) I still turned folks away

any work for a chainsaw operative........... :tongue2:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£25, but I see it as a bonus to a great day working my dog. It's not about the money money money.

Of course the first thing is working your dog but its nice to be appreciated on the day too. When i was dishing out beating money it was £30......i just wouldn't ask anyone to come out for any less th

I don't do it for the money because to be honest i could make more doing other things. I see a days beating as a day away from it all having good craic with a bunch of mates and building up a few brow

Bigdaz Labtastic and Me all talk the same language the rest of you are from another planet

Aye your right I am on another planet cause I'm the one who gets to say who does and who doesn't pick up here and fact is when we shot 60 days a year I never had call to look for picker ups they came to me and even with 480 places a year to fill (8 picker ups per day for 60 days) I still turned folks away

The boss has had 2 biomass boilers fitted just need some one to cut down some trees shame you don't have a better track record when it comes to reliability though :D :D :D :D :D :D

• Like 2

The boss has had 2 biomass boilers fitted just need some one to cut down some trees shame you don't have a better track record when it comes to reliability though :D :D :D :D :D :D

:D :D you no me well......... :laugh:

in all seriousnesstho mate after the offer you gave me and lab,id of done them cheap as chips........... :thumbs:

• Like 1

in all seriousnesstho mate after the offer you gave me and lab,id of done them cheap as chips........... :thumbs:

cheers :thumbs: hope you lads can get down here this year :thumbs:

• Like 1

dont you mean next year....... :D i hope we can to mate, show lab a proper picking up dog..... :whistling:

dont you mean next year....... :D i hope we can to mate, show lab a proper picking up dog..... :whistling:

starting to worry he will want £30 and a pastie to turn up now :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

Did you pay them?.

Did you pay them?.

Did you pay them?.

yep was £25 per day plus dinner and a brace, now it's £30 per day plus dinner and a brace now we only do 17 private days but I still have 8 paid picker ups per day and I have 2 who drive over 2 hours to get here and pick up for free just for the sport and the chance of dead mans shoes

Edited by danw

If you had any idea how much it actually cost to run a shoot you might not be so quick to expect more for your day, sadly it won't change how much you think your worth.. very few shoots these days are run at anything near a profit, the money from paying guests just goes to offset some of the years cost..

Well don't run a bloody shoot then, I expect to be paid for my time and efforts like any other worker. I actually find it quite incredulous that people think you should put fuel in your car, turn up with your dogs and spend a day of your life working for a pittance to make their shoot economically viable.

I ran it but I didn't pay for it. Let's say you went beating from nov 1st every sat that ruffly 12 days your out getting you £29 per day, if it's a half decent shoot a gun for the day will cost around £500, guessing you get a keepers day?? Split that £500 by 12 days = £41.66 per day add that to your £29 wage per day, the total now is £70.66 per day that your out, now if your not happy with the equivilant of£70 a day to get out and work your dog then tuff f*****g shit...

I see the point your trying to make here mate but ive got to disagree. You cant look at it as 70 quid cause its not. For one the keepers day as you say is the cock day and its as much to round up excess cock birds as it is a day for the beaters. Its 99.9% of the time a stand one walk one scenario so again its nothing like driven pheasants. Infact alot of folk who beat dont even own a gun or ever shoot so that advice you gave would be no use to them. Same with me i wouldn't be bothered if i never shot another pheasant again as long as i lived so the end of season cock day is more the bevvy and banter side for me as well.

I think the real reason is if the money makes a difference to you then its nice to have it......if we were all rolling in it would we be squabbling over 30 quid? :icon_eek: . At this point in time 30 quid means alot to me and i'm glad of it when it comes....................you must have far to much money mate.... :whistling:

:thumbs:

Lol theres a sneaky word hidden in my post "equivilent"... Let's be honest the days of needing to thin out cock birds are long gone on all but a small handful of wild bird shoots, not many shoots have a cock only policy on keepers day or certainly not in Aberdeenshire.

Granted smaller shoots are generally walk one drive stand one drive but if it's a reasonable size it's usually beat one day stand one day & dare I say not getting paid for the day you beat..

I took over a 4k annual wage drop when I left keepering to do what I do now and I can promise you 30 notes is a noticeable amount of cash to me too.. Do I want more than £29 or £30 for a days beating?? No.. Because I see the bigger picture of it all.. Would I do it for free?? Unless for a good friend, No, and have never said I would.. Having said that il beat for free on the keepers day at T,s so I can take the piss out your shooting lab :-)

To the original starter of the thread, did you grow some balls and go speak to the keeper or did it make you feel better having a moan on the net, lol

Have a good season fellas, enjoy it for what it is..

Edited by alimac
  • Like 2

When i done a bit of beating, stood there at the end of the day, soaking wet and cold after putting in a days hard work i fully expect some sort of payment. Whether that is £20 or a few birds i wasnt fussed. The way i see it, is i gave up my saturday and some weekdays when iff work to do a job for somebody else when i could be relaxing infront of the fire.

No beaters= no shooting.

I stopped beating when the tight fecker wanted me to help out 12 hours a day when i was on holiday and didnt give me a penny for 4 weeks beating.

Now if i wanted to work my dog..... that would be a different story.

LAB..... ill work this lab x for free :thumbs:

starting to worry he will want £30 and a pastie to turn up now :laugh: :laugh:

Nah mate....wipeing the smile of Stewies puss with an ass wipe of a retreive would be payment enough................... :boogy::D
  • Like 1

Alimac i spoke to the owner of the shoot in the morning and he said he didnt know how much we are getting (pish) he was going to see the head keeper. So i spoke to him again after dinner the auld bugger could hardly talk he'd had that much brandy he said he was going to see the keeper now and he did . The keeper said to me just about word for word what you said in your original post about not making mony ect and the shoot will close if they dont make money this yr All this was said before i posted my first post so i came on here just to ask what you where all getting and its got alot of response which is good . Mean while the shoot is'nt making money but the boss man and all the other members of the shoot are all running around in brand new Range Rovers not making money and i'll say again i love working my dogs and its not all about the money but it does help

• Like 1

Well round these parts beaters are payed £35-£40 a day and birds if you want them. Pickers up are £45-£50

If you beat on keepers day and don't shoot you get payed if a day is cancelled due to weather you get payed.

I beat on a couple of small shoots for free but get other perks out of the job. But for a day on a large commercial shoot i expect to be payed for my time at £40+ per bird they can afford it.

• Like 1

Fair one mate, no one is saying lads shouldn't get paid but like anything if your ain't happy with the doe your would turn it in wouldn't ya.

The op was pissing and moaning about his money, I reckon it's easy, if he ain't happy don't go.

• Like 2