Picking up Money

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

I dont think you can put a price on these things

I know my days loading for a client on grouse has paid off with day on driven grouse :D at the end of october

Which I havent a clue what that would cost on a very top moor

ATB Cookie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£25, but I see it as a bonus to a great day working my dog. It's not about the money money money.

Of course the first thing is working your dog but its nice to be appreciated on the day too. When i was dishing out beating money it was £30......i just wouldn't ask anyone to come out for any less th

I don't do it for the money because to be honest i could make more doing other things. I see a days beating as a day away from it all having good craic with a bunch of mates and building up a few brow

I dont think you can put a price on these things

I know my days loading for a client on grouse has paid off with day on driven grouse :D at the end of october

Which I havent a clue what that would cost on a very top moor

ATB Cookie

Lucky lucky boy... Cost is about £150 a brace... I'm not jealous honest..

If you had any idea how much it actually cost to run a shoot you might not be so quick to expect more for your day, sadly it won't change how much you think your worth.. very few shoots these days are run at anything near a profit, the money from paying guests just goes to offset some of the years cost..

Well don't run a bloody shoot then, I expect to be paid for my time and efforts like any other worker. I actually find it quite incredulous that people think you should put fuel in your car, turn up with your dogs and spend a day of your life working for a pittance to make their shoot economically viable.

I ran it but I didn't pay for it. Let's say you went beating from nov 1st every sat that ruffly 12 days your out getting you £29 per day, if it's a half decent shoot a gun for the day will cost around £500, guessing you get a keepers day?? Split that £500 by 12 days = £41.66 per day add that to your £29 wage per day, the total now is £70.66 per day that your out, now if your not happy with the equivilant of£70 a day to get out and work your dog then tuff f*****g shit...

I see the point your trying to make here mate but ive got to disagree. You cant look at it as 70 quid cause its not. For one the keepers day as you say is the cock day and its as much to round up excess cock birds as it is a day for the beaters. Its 99.9% of the time a stand one walk one scenario so again its nothing like driven pheasants. Infact alot of folk who beat dont even own a gun or ever shoot so that advice you gave would be no use to them. Same with me i wouldn't be bothered if i never shot another pheasant again as long as i lived so the end of season cock day is more the bevvy and banter side for me as well.

I think the real reason is if the money makes a difference to you then its nice to have it......if we were all rolling in it would we be squabbling over 30 quid? :icon_eek: . At this point in time 30 quid means alot to me and i'm glad of it when it comes....................you must have far to much money mate.... :whistling:

:thumbs:

• Like 1

All this talk of money....... how vulgar! :D

Beating and helping run the shoot is about far more than a few quid for my time and graft. Some people are more bothered about the money than the sport for various reasons.

Thats a whole different aspect to this thread though mate. :thumbs:

All this talk of money....... how vulgar! :D

Beating and helping run the shoot is about far more than a few quid for my time and graft. Some people are more bothered about the money than the sport for various reasons.

Thats a whole different aspect to this thread though mate. :thumbs:

Aye I suppose so, but still work that is being put in for the benefit of paying guns. Work that I don't get a penny for but put a lot of my own time in. The beating itself means more to me than the 20 quid at the end of the day. Just like seeing my efforts throughout the year come to fruition makes all the payless hours worth while. I'm not saying beaters etc should'nt be payed it's just some people seem far more concerned about how fat their wallet is than the sport they should be enjoying.

i buy a chainsaw, i enjoy using it and have many days enjoyment out of it in the countryside, should i start using it for £30 a day when the person im using it for is making thousands........... :hmm:

i buy a chainsaw, i enjoy using it and have many days enjoyment out of it in the countryside, should i start using it for £30 a day when the person im using it for is making thousands........... :hmm:

That must be the worst comparison i have ever heard........... :laugh:
  • Like 3

just dont get that mate [chainsaw vs beating?]

just dont get that mate [chainsaw vs beating?]

its not.........its chainsaw v dog

Bigdaz Labtastic and Me all talk the same language the rest of you are from another planet

Aye your right I am on another planet cause I'm the one who gets to say who does and who doesn't pick up here and fact is when we shot 60 days a year I never had call to look for picker ups they came to me and even with 480 places a year to fill (8 picker ups per day for 60 days) I still turned folks away

• Like 2