no you misunderstood me I would not touch tinned dog food my point was tripe has no more nutritional value than tinned food.what you think because its meat it's good food.if you are regularly working a dog you want him in hard working condition I respect my dogs more than to run them on second rate fuel you wouldn't run a racing car on chip fat.tripe is ok for off season or pet dogs it holds weight on a dog but its not good weight tripe is probiotic so it encourages the dogs appetite and makes it eat more I don't know why you would feed a working dog tripe at this time of year the seasons just getting in full swing why take a dog backwards in his condition when you are asking more if him

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wrong!   Green tripe is the stomach meat of cow, bison, or lamb, and the greens they have eaten, all in one miracle food. The perfect combination of high quality protein and green vegetation, rich i

Don't forget to boil it first in the kitchen to get rid of all the worm cyst's..

If your not feeding your dogs whole animals, then I'll fink you'll find tripe is pretty essential if your feeding a BARF diet. Peter, I take it you don't like the smell

Posted Images

I see what you mean now!

But I'd still feed a bit of tripe as part of a well balanced mainly raw diet. Any fresh food is almost certainly better than heat treated and processed food, and tripe does have a fair amount of goodness in it: a perfect calcium/phosphorous balance for one.

I see what you mean now!

But I'd still feed a bit of tripe as part of a well balanced mainly raw diet. Any fresh food is almost certainly better than heat treated and processed food, and tripe does have a fair amount of goodness in it: a perfect calcium/phosphorous balance for one.

. aye I hear ya sky at I just think the cons outweigh the pros you can always supplement calcium/phosphorus apart from taste nice I can't see the benefit of tripe not for a dog regularly working

no you misunderstood me I would not touch tinned dog food my point was tripe has no more nutritional value than tinned food.what you think because its meat it's good food.if you are regularly working a dog you want him in hard working condition I respect my dogs more than to run them on second rate fuel you wouldn't run a racing car on chip fat.tripe is ok for off season or pet dogs it holds weight on a dog but its not good weight tripe is probiotic so it encourages the dogs appetite and makes it eat more I don't know why you would feed a working dog tripe at this time of year the seasons just getting in full swing why take a dog backwards in his condition when you are asking more if him

I misinterpreted what you were saying.

Apologies :thumbs:

I get my meat from DAF, usually Beef or Chicken,but this month ive given him a wee change, Beef and tripe, and Chicken and tripe all in pound frozen packs.

I'm not a great admirer of tripe, I give it to my two retired dogs ,,with other meat , but my two workers only get a token smattering of it, being mainly on a mixture of beef,chicken, and rabbit.

I feed my pup on dry food but on friday my misses gives the pup half a cooked chicken all the chicken stripped ready for eating..but I want to put a bit of weight on her and was told to give her tripe for a few weeks with the dry food and shell soon put the weight on.

Its a funny one mate, alot of people say its shite and it has no place in the working lurchers diet yet the dogs go mad for it and look great on it.

At the moment im feeding a rack of ribs or chicken carcass in the morning and then in the evening a couple of slices of brown with mince meat and keepers mix one day and tripe and cod-liver-oil the next day.

Then on a sunday they get the bread with a couple of duck eggs. So 3 days of tripe & fish oil and 3 days of mince meat & keepers mix.

The dogs are looking fantastic on it, full of energy and getting into shape really quickly.

I buy loaves of brown bread from Aldi for 47p per loaf, 3 at a time and freeze them, then just get out 3 slices each morning along with a bag of mince or tripe and defrost in a plastic box for that evening.

Then every night i get out either a rack of ribs each or a chicken carcass each and defrost that for the morning.

The mince is costing me 25p-35p per lb depending what i get. The tripe is the most expensive because i get the pre packed stuff from pets at home, i think its 70p per 450g pouch or there abouts, so thats pretty expensive but a good butcher will get you bulk for pennies. I just get it from there for convenience, no mess or chopping the foul stinking stuff up!

Duck eggs are free from my sister. Keepers mix works out at a couple of pence per meal. As does the cod liver oil.

And thats about it!

Good luck

Gaz

ive yet to see a dog that won t eat tripe even sick dogs like tripe , most hunt kennels feed tripe and flesh and those hounds do ok on it and there out 3-4 times a week running miles a lot more miles than your lurcher would , its all things in moderation i feed a lot of hearts , breast of lamb and tripe my lot will have tripe every day with there hearts / lamb and they do fine on it , if you gave them a tin of food they wouldn t touch it there not to keen on dry food either as we sometimes use it as a mixer but theyll pick the biscuit out and eat the mince , some dogs do better on different foods its just finding the best mix for your dog